Crashdiet

GUNS N' ROSES

• headbangerh?ll
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Diehard Dietist
More
12 years 4 months ago #76937 by headbangerh?ll
Replied by headbangerh?ll on topic GUNS N' ROSES

DCK wrote: Slash is over-rated. He got some good riffs and bluesy solos but people think he's better than what he really is due his image. Stupid. I value his time in GNR and how his image and superb guitar players made GNR a force to be reckonened with, but he wouldnt be anywhere without Axl. Axl made that band and made them at least stick togheter for a few years. If GNR had a singer like Vince Neil or with the drug habits of Nikki Sixx we wouldnt have heard one bit about GNR today.

To say Velvet Revolver's music is better than There Was A Time, Better, I.R.S, Chinese Democracy, Madagascar, The Blues or the excellent (but yet low quality) demo of Catcher in the Rye is like saying saying The Sex Pistols were better music composers than Beethoven.

I think velvet revolver is better than the new guns n' roses. And Slash is(was) much more important for Guns than Axl is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 4 months ago #76938 by ?black_harmony?
Replied by ?black_harmony? on topic GUNS N' ROSES
well, slash was for sure very imortant to rock music for one simple reason. he inspired many many new guitar player. go and ask to the new generation "guitar heroes" like alexi laiho or jani liimatatinen who their inspirations are, and slash is going to be there. but I acutally think that axl and slash worked better together than alone...

More
12 years 4 months ago #76951 by dck
Replied by dck on topic GUNS N' ROSES

I think velvet revolver is better than the new guns n' roses. And Slash is(was) much more important for Guns than Axl is.

I'll be interested in knowing how you on earth can make Slash more important than Axl in GNR. If anyone was more important than Axl it was Izzy and he's still not as important. VR better than GNR demo's is your subjective opinion talking which is fine (some people like grunge and Weiland afterall), but to claim Slash was more important to GNR than Axl or Izzy is pretty daring.

Slash is an inspiration to many, but the image again plays a big role. He's a superb guitar player no doubt, but GNR would never have made it without Axl.

More
12 years 4 months ago #76957 by martin_monroe
Replied by martin_monroe on topic GUNS N' ROSES
Slash is only overrated by people who think he is better than he is.
Everybody know he isn't the best guitarist around, no one states that (well, some ignorant people do) but being a technically good guitarist and being able to come up with good music is different things.

And Axl kept the whole thing togheter? Come on. Axl did break up the band, and thats a known fact.
And argueing about who was most important is equally stupid, since without Slash, the solos and alot of the riffs wouldn't be there (well, Izzy came up with stuff to but you know what I mean) and without Axl they wouldn't have that iconic voice, it was the whole band combined that made them succesful.
And VR is playing more rock n roll stuff, with more guitars in it, thats what Slash have always wanted to do, Axl plays more pretentious (not in a bad way) music.
I personally like both bands, Catcher in the rye, Better, IRS, Chinese Democracy, TWAT. All great songs.
The same with VR's stuff.

Oh, and I love Guns N' Roses, it's my favourite band of all time. Fuck yeah

• headbangerh?ll
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Diehard Dietist
More
12 years 4 months ago #76958 by headbangerh?ll

DCK wrote:

I'll be interested in knowing how you on earth can make Slash more important than Axl in GNR. If anyone was more important than Axl it was Izzy and he's still not as important. VR better than GNR demo's is your subjective opinion talking which is fine (some people like grunge and Weiland afterall), but to claim Slash was more important to GNR than Axl or Izzy is pretty daring.

Slash is an inspiration to many, but the image again plays a big role. He's a superb guitar player no doubt, but GNR would never have made it without Axl.

Ok, maybe he is not more important than Axl, i guess i just think he is cooler.
But Slash was more important than Izzy for sure.

More
12 years 4 months ago #76959 by izak_acid
Replied by izak_acid on topic GUNS N' ROSES

headbangerhåll wrote:

DCK wrote:

Ok, maybe he is not more important than Axl, i guess i just think he is cooler.
But Slash was more important than Izzy for sure.

Izzy wrote songs.

More
12 years 4 months ago #76961 by dck
Replied by dck on topic GUNS N' ROSES
You people don't seem to be very enlightened about GNR history. :lol:

As for Izzy, Izzy was Axl's friend from Indiana and also a major contributor to GNR's success because he did the majority of the songs while Axl put the lyrics and melodies to them. I hate it when people speak of Slash first and Izzy second. When Izzy left, the band fell apart from the inside out. Izzy was somewhat the glue. Which makes him as important to the band dynamics as Slash was, but Izzy is hardly mentioned.

And now for Axl being the major factor of keeping that damn band togheter. Izzy was on heroin, Adler was already on his way to being severely fucked up, Duff was an alcholic and Slash was on cocaine and any other substances. Izzy was so fucked up from time to time that he played the wrong song in the wrong key which resulted in their roadies turning his amps down without him noticing.

With a band like that you need someone to take control. Axl kept sane enough and was actually able to lay some plans and look ahead. It was Axl's plans, not Izzy, Slash or Duff. They had more than enough work on their hands just being able to do a concert. While Axl fought mostly his inner mental demons, the other went into a complete craze probably only (and maybe not) beaten by Motley Crue. It's rather hard to understand this being a late teenager and from Scandinavia. Without Axl being at least semi-sober that band would have fallen apart before they even had gotten off the finish line. And this ain't me bullshitting, Slash speaks of how Axl kept more sober than them in Sixx's Heroin Diaries. Besides, I don't belive in band democracy.

I think we all know about the famous Axl speech back in the late 80's when he said that this would be last show by this band because some members were dancing a little too hard with Mr. Brownstone.

It's easy to give Axl shit and blame it all on him, but if people actually bothered to dig into GNR's group dynamics and band individuals, you'll get a more :neutral:l story than the regular bullshit the media throws at Axl.

And your "fact" that Axl broke up the band is not a fact, but a subjective opinion coming from you. A fact as to what caused the band to split is not known to anyone but the band members themselves and judging from what comes out from both camps, I doubt they have any clue themselves and just keep blaming each other like confused teenagers.

• fizzy
  • fizzy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • fizzy
More
12 years 4 months ago #76962 by fizzy
Replied by fizzy on topic GUNS N' ROSES
Well I would say that everybody on GnR was important: AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF N' STEVEN

An Example: Matt Sorum is definately a better drummer than Steven Adler. But without Steven it was not the same Gn'R it was with him. It was somethin' missin'. They were always a gang of five Rokkers and only with these, they were GnR. you know what I mean?

Well when Izzy left, they were just a live band in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I like Gilby Clarke and he has done his job very well but I would say it's the same thing like Steven and Matt. And once I heard Duff saying:"I think the band broke up since Izzy left." That show that Izzy Stradlin' was the fukkin' heart of Gn'R.

In the early days of the band Izzy wrote most of the songs (Patience, Think About You etc.) Axl put such great vocals on it and of course he wrote a lot songs too. Slash has put his unbelieveble melodic lines and solos over it and Duff and Steven the rhythm parts.
So If there only one part missin' , the whole song will sound different.
that are my meanings about GnR.

btw I think everybody knows that Slash isn't the best Guitarist in the whole world (maybe Eddie Van Halen or Yngwie Malmsteen are) but for me he is the best guitarist coz he plays with so much feelin' and he put his emotions in his play. That's the reason he's the best guitarist for me.

"So you ask me how it feels to be a stick in the wheel
I tell you honey it feels alright
to be another clog in the wrecking machine
wouldn't even cross my mind"

More
12 years 4 months ago #76977 by martin_monroe
Replied by martin_monroe on topic GUNS N' ROSES
Izzy was important I know, he was the one making Axl and the rest talk to eachother. (I think it was Duff or Slash that said that)

And although it was because of Axl and him leading the way they became huge, it was his fault the band broke up. Not because he made the others give him the rights to the bandname, (it was probably the best thing to do in that position) but because he said he would leave and make a new band, and invited Duff and Slash tojoin him, that would have resulted in him totally ruling everything that they'd do so I kind aunderstand why they left.

In that sense, he is resposible for breaking up the band. But unlike lot of the people on the web, I don't take sides. I like both VR and new GN'R. And although Slash made me (and alot of others) pick up a guitar, if I was a singer, I would hold Axl as my greatest inspiration.

• headbangerh?ll
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Diehard Dietist
More
12 years 4 months ago #76995 by headbangerh?ll
It looks like you have done your homework, guys :lol: .
But even if Izzy and Axl was more important songwriters i still think that Slash is the coolest GN'R-member ever. And that makes him very important. And he can play the guitar pretty well to.

• fizzy
  • fizzy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • fizzy
More
12 years 4 months ago #76997 by fizzy
Replied by fizzy on topic GUNS N' ROSES

headbangerhåll wrote: It looks like you have done your homework, guys :lol: .
But even if Izzy and Axl was more important songwriters i still think that Slash is the coolest GN'R-member ever. And that makes him very important. And he can play the guitar pretty well to.

thx
well coolness is a fact but for some people coolness has an other defination as for other.

For me Slash is fukkin' cool. I love him.
But the coolest Gn'R member is (was) Izzy Stradlin' for sure.

"So you ask me how it feels to be a stick in the wheel
I tell you honey it feels alright
to be another clog in the wrecking machine
wouldn't even cross my mind"

• headbangerh?ll
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Diehard Dietist
More
12 years 4 months ago #77009 by headbangerh?ll

fizzy suxx wrote: But the coolest Gn'R member is (was) Izzy Stardlin' for sure.

for me it is still slash, but that is up to everyone to decide on their own.

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds