Crashdiet

The Book Thread

More
6 years 3 days ago #161654 by MissHurricane
Replied by MissHurricane on topic The Book Thread
Just an idea: How many people here are using Goodreads?

I recently started reading "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children". I'd say it's kinda hyped (which would be normally one of the reasons to NOT read it for me, haha) but I got it for Christmas from my mom so... Seems interesting so far, people are complaining the most about the end tho. Let's see. Anyone here has already read it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 11 months ago #161723 by mrs v. viper
Replied by mrs v. viper on topic The Book Thread
I just recently heard of goodreads. I'd love to befreind anyone on her on there, but for the moment I don't even know how that works on that page haha :lol:

I also love talking books on here.
Has anyone actually read Into the Wild? juts saw the movie again and thought of it might be worth it?

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

More
5 years 11 months ago #161725 by MissHurricane
Well, I was a bit confused too, hah. It's quite chaotic but I think I've found you there (via Fhina) :)

Oh, and thanks for mentioning Into the Wild :lol: I've been just wondering which movie I should get for tomorrow and couldn't figure anything out... and bump, here it is. I haven't read neither the book yet tho so I can't be very helpful here.

More
5 years 11 months ago #161743 by karagrace99
Replied by karagrace99 on topic The Book Thread
13 Secrets! It's a book about Death, consequences, magic, curses and Fairies!x

More
5 years 11 months ago #161750 by mrs v. viper

MissHurricane wrote: Into the Wild

started reading that.. for some reason it reminds me of on the road so much. I mean there is some really obvious and biiiig differences, but the protagonists have this same kind of selfdistructive tendencies for the sake of not being bored if that makes any sense... Now obviously on the road probably contains more romantic fiction, ends less drastic etc, but still....

I gave up on trainspotting. it's on the same difficulty level as Clockwork Orange with all those words no one seems to actually use.. the language is just so difficult. Has anyone read it? Might get a translation and then read the original again...

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson

More
5 years 11 months ago #161791 by MissHurricane
@Anna: Since I haven't seen the movie, neither have read the book, I can't add any meaningful opinion on this :lol: But I get your point and sometimes I have the same feeling about certain books. I remember the very first time when this happened. I was maybe 9 years old when I started reading fantasy and one of my favourites was John Moressy's "Wizard Kedrigern" serie... I can't remember the name of the novel now but back then my absolute n.1 had an awesome "old mysterious library where people get murdered under quite bizarre circumstances" plot (I'm sure you already know the point, haha). I loved it. And then I thought I'd threw the book out of the window after reading "The Name Of The Rose" few years later :lol: It was kind of shock for my 12 and something years old little soul.

More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #161856 by katribear
Replied by katribear on topic The Book Thread

mrs v. viper wrote: Has anyone actually read Into the Wild? juts saw the movie again and thought of it might be worth it?

I gave up on trainspotting. it's on the same difficulty level as Clockwork Orange with all those words no one seems to actually use.. the language is just so difficult. Has anyone read it? Might get a translation and then read the original again...

Well, I haven't read Into the wild, but I have also seen the movie, and it really put me off from reading the book. (For some reason I seem to be in the minority of people who didn't like the movie.)

As for Trainspotting, I read it in the original language around the time the movie came out. I remember it being a very hard read, because if I remember correctly, it was written in some (Scottish?) accent. I managed to read it trough, but I was studying in an international school at the time, so english was like a second language to me back then. (With all these spelling mistakes I'm making it's hard to believe, I know, but because I haven't used much english in the past 10 years, my ability to write has really deteriorated.)
I remember liking the novel - back then I was really into that kind of stories - but my reading tastes have changed a lot, so I can't really give advice on whether you should read it or not. Maybe it's time to go and find it from my bookshelf and reread it, so that I could give a real advice on whether anyone should read it or not. :lol: That way I could also read the sequels and know who is who and what is happening.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by katribear.

• Fhina
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Smut Queen
More
4 years 2 months ago #163016 by Fhina
Replied by Fhina on topic The Book Thread
Some months ago I read All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr. It's about a small girl going blind in Paris during WWII. Her father rebuilds a model of their neighbourhood and partices with her to get around every days but then they have to leave as the Nazi invade.

And then there's Werner a little German boy, his talent for engineering takes him into a military academy and then into war.

It's a fantastic book!

"To follow your dreams is something you really should do in your life, to achieve something that is really important to you."

Streetteam Finland

More
4 years 2 months ago #163025 by mrs v. viper
I've started reading Terry Goodkinds Sword of truth series. For everyone who doesnt know this, it was made into a TV series, The Legend of the Seeker. While being miles away from Game of Thrones, this series was a big step for fantasy on TV nonetheless, in terms of production size and budget aswell as design and overall exposure.

As a fantasy person I enjoyed the TV adaption well enough and the books, as usually are better. Nothing groundbreaking but you know, solid entertainment. Plus there is a lot of not too short books to read, which for me as a fast reader means always bonus points :)

For Uni I'm re-reading Thomas More's Utopia, alongside a biography of Erasmus and a summary of the times events :)

• Sheila
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • grevling
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #163028 by Sheila
Replied by Sheila on topic The Book Thread
I cant wait till I'm done with exams and can read what I want again. I've been taking a litterature class this fall, same as I had last fall since I failed it. First I though "oooh, I cant wait, a whole semester just reading great books!" But when they expect you to read at least one book, some essays/short stories and a lot of poems each week, plus you have more classes to read to, its not that great, haha. Plus they throw in some danish and swedish litterature in the mix. Some of the books I've read is books I've wanted to read for some time, but rushing through them kinda sucks. Right now I'm reading the last book for the semester, Dag Solstad's Gymnasium Teacher Pedersen's Account of the Great Political Awakening Which Has Haunted Our Country. (thank you wikipedia, for translating and letting me copy that long name, haha)
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Sheila.

• Fhina
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Smut Queen
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #163029 by Fhina
Replied by Fhina on topic The Book Thread
I also had to take a literature class for German and had to read about four books for it...didn't do it. I just gathering some content summary and character descriptions and rocked the exam.

I have so many books on my TBR-pile but I'm also so lazy... I will need to read some books I got for review tho.

"To follow your dreams is something you really should do in your life, to achieve something that is really important to you."

Streetteam Finland
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Fhina.

• Sheila
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • grevling
More
4 years 2 months ago #163030 by Sheila
Replied by Sheila on topic The Book Thread
I have 12 norwegian books to read, and 2 swedish and 2 danish. Plus a lot of smaller texts. I wish I could just read summaries too, but they ask the worst questions at the exam -.-

I will probably reread something when I get free, haha. I'm so bad at finding new books to read.

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds