Crashdiet

The Book Thread

More
7 years 6 months ago #142764 by CurrentlycRazie
Replied by CurrentlycRazie on topic The Book Thread

GunsNCrüeSWE wrote: You should, best biography imo.

Well, once I go back to the library I'll have to go see if I agree ^^. I love checking out people's reccomendations.

... Now reading Burroughs' Junky, and A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. Along with Angelology by i don't know who XD. Oh yeah and The Novice - Trudi Canavan. Thanks to varying projects... I have to read lots at once.

The first part of A Million Little Pieces so far has been unbelievably depressing...

... The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars ~...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• izzie
  • Topic Author
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
More
7 years 6 months ago #142767 by izzie
Replied by izzie on topic The Book Thread

mrs v. viper wrote: do you actually search for a real biography, like a book that tellls what happened from when he was born to everything that follows or are you happy aswell with something that just tells the way he thinks a bit?

If so I recommend "They Philosophy of Andy Warhol: From A to B and back again"
it's written/done by himself :)

Anything about Warhol and Jack Kerouac basically, I'll check it out. Thanks!

More
7 years 6 months ago #142769 by CurrentlycRazie

izzie wrote: Anything about Warhol and Jack Kerouac basically

This isn't something to read, but I found it really intriguing anyway so if you like Kerouac you might find it interesting...

According to the front of Burroughs' Junky, Kerouac was one of the few people that didn't appear as a character in the book. There is no real explanation. Kerouac and Ginsberg were left out, despite them all being close. It also seems to suggest that Burroughs appears under a different name in Kerouac's novels... I haven't managed to find him yet, but I really want to!

Also your mention of him reminded me that I need to read Kerouac and Burroughs' collaboration work 'And The Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks'. Anyone read it?

... The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars ~...

• izzie
  • Topic Author
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
More
7 years 6 months ago #142771 by izzie
No, but I've read "On the Road" three times...

More
7 years 6 months ago #142775 by CurrentlycRazie

izzie wrote: No, but I've read "On the Road" three times...

I APPROVE! ^^

• izzie
  • Topic Author
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
More
6 years 4 months ago #157677 by izzie
Bump... hehehe.

I've just started studying literature and I'd love to get peoples different opinions on books in general. What are you reading right now? Do you prefer biographies over fiction or even fact books like myself?

More
6 years 4 months ago #157680 by mrs v. viper
Replied by mrs v. viper on topic The Book Thread
right now I read "A short History of almost Everything" by Bill Bryson. it's a fact book that tries to give an overview over today's science, ofc. it simplifies alot, but it is still good.
Before that I read "In search of Schrödingers Cat" by John Gribbin, with is the same sort of book, trying to make quantum physics understandable. I uqite enjoy those kinda books, but only read them if my physics and math studying friends have approved them, haha, alot of those "pop science" book have so many mistakes.

Others I recently read was C.S. Lewis's biography "Surprised by Joy", "The Alchemist" by Paulo Cohelo (I really recommend that one, it's fiction but so full of wisdom!) and the Mortal Instrumenst and Infernal Devices Series by Cassandra Clare (which is just shallow entertainment really.)
I also started with Dante's Divine Comedy and go back to it whenever I feel like it.

The next one I'll start with is Dostojewski's "Idiot", so I read everything really. :)

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

• Sheila
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • grevling
More
6 years 4 months ago #157684 by Sheila
Replied by Sheila on topic The Book Thread
I'm reading The Penguin Book Of Vampire Stories right now, by Alan Ryan. Its basically a collection of vampire short stories, from Polidoris the Vampyre (1819), to newer stuff. I think the newest story is from somewhere around 1980. I'm about half way now, but there is some really cool stories in there. Its cool to see how the vampire-thing has changed trough the years.

• Sarah
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Miss Candy
More
6 years 4 months ago #157691 by Sarah
Replied by Sarah on topic The Book Thread

mrs v. viper wrote: I also started with Dante's Divine Comedy and go back to it whenever I feel like it.

I read it all at school, as it's (almost) compulsory here in the lyceum... I have to say i liked it, but it'd probably have liked it more if i hadnt to do it for school, it was meant to be a boring thing. I mean i dont care about the grammar analysis of the text, i care more about the contempt.

• riKki reKkless
  • Getting groovy
  • Getting groovy
  • Mr. Ellious Rough
More
6 years 4 months ago #157699 by riKki reKkless
Replied by riKki reKkless on topic The Book Thread
Unfortunately I don‘t really have much time to read right now. The last books I read were The Dirt & Heroin Diaries and some books by Steven King.
"Azrael" by Wolfgang Hohlbein is a pretty good one, if you go for horror. I usually don‘t like the way he drifts away, but this one was pretty well written. I read some books by John Grisham, but after the 3rd, I stopped. It all became so similar and boring as fuck, especially the endings. But now that I see this topic, I suddenly want to read again!

More
6 years 4 months ago #157741 by mrs v. viper
Replied by mrs v. viper on topic The Book Thread
what did YOU read lately, izzie? :)

izzie wrote: Bump... hehehe.

I've just started studying literature and I'd love to get peoples different opinions on books in general. What are you reading right now? Do you prefer biographies over fiction or even fact books like myself?

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

• izzie
  • Topic Author
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
More
6 years 4 months ago #157744 by izzie
Thanks for asking!

Well, since I'm studying literature now I don't have much time to read my "own stuff", but the last book I read privately if I may put it so was An Unwritten Slate by Steven Pinker.

Today I started reading both Platons Faidros and the original version of Dracula, both which I have to finish in a week. I've bought 24 books in total just for this semester and I probably gonna need a few more. :P

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds