Crashdiet

The Book Thread

More
8 years 1 week ago #140012 by mrs v. viper
Replied by mrs v. viper on topic The Book Thread

XiLaii wrote:

Sheila wrote: Right now I'm reading Memnoch the devil, by Anne Rice. We discussed some of her books in another thread here.

Also I guess this is going back a little, but I don't know many other people who have read that, so I've just got to ask what you think of it? :lol:.

I read that!!
And I think it's actually my favourite from all the one I read right after the Vampire Lestat!

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lexxi_Crash
  • New Here...
  • New Here...
  • XTC Overdrive
More
7 years 11 months ago #140250 by Lexxi_Crash
Replied by Lexxi_Crash on topic The Book Thread
Finally get my eyes on Heroin Diaries again... I can re-read this book over and over again... Next- The Dirt...

"Born to die free..." (c)
File Attachment:

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #142195 by CurrentlycRazie
Replied by CurrentlycRazie on topic The Book Thread
I've only just seen this... :O I'm not trying to be annoying and restart a thread from ages ago, but I'm a bookworm... the urge is too great!

I'm a huge fantasy fan. My absolute favourite book has been really widely criticised, and a lot of people seem to hate it. It's 'The Magicians' by Lev Grossman. I'm never sure whether to reccommend it or not, given that so many people hate it so much. But personally, I think it's wonderful.

I'm also a huge fan of a Jack Kerouac, particularly Orpheus Emerged... That particular book is one I over-analyze... but I love it. Of course and every Kerouac fan loves On The Road and The Dharma Bums.

Like lots of people here, I also liked The Heroin Diaries, and the Dirt (what can I say? I'm a Cruehead).

And I'm a fan of Anne Rice... a friend of mine actually got to interview her! :O

Apart from that, I love Stephen King, I ADORE Oscar Wilde's works... his humour is just wonderful. Shakespeare, Poe, a friend bought me Lovecraft's collective works which I need to finish, I love Devon Monk's novels... (the Allie Beckstrom series). I could go on forever but I'll save everyone the hell that happens when I start talking about books :P.

Right now I'm reading Stephen King's Dark Tower series... The first one, the Gunslinger. I have yet to make a decision on its quality, though ^^.

... The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars ~...
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by CurrentlycRazie.

• izzie
  • Topic Author
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
More
7 years 7 months ago #142196 by izzie
Replied by izzie on topic The Book Thread

CurrentlycRazie wrote: I've only just seen this... :O I'm not trying to be annoying and restart a thread from ages ago

That's what you should do, instead of creating a new one with the same content. :)

• Genital Grinder
  • New Here...
  • New Here...
  • Guitarist, Australia
More
7 years 7 months ago #142197 by Genital Grinder
Replied by Genital Grinder on topic The Book Thread
Currently halfway through Dave Mustaine - A Life in Metal
it starts off a bit slow but once you get into it, it's a fucking awesome read

"I think the main thing is the fuckin' attitude, if ya ain't got it and don't think your the coolest walkin' creature on earth, how would you then persuade people to dig your wicked act of art."- Dave Lepard R.I.S.

More
7 years 7 months ago #142212 by CurrentlycRazie
Already finished the Gunslinger (yeah, I really am a bookworm... wasn't even joking XD). Now I'm reading Red Seas Under Red Skies, by Scott Lynch... It's the second in the series, and I really liked his first: 'The Lies of Locke Lamora'. It's kind of fantasy, but not obvious fantasy... And I'm no good at describing books! ^^

... The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars ~...

• izzie
  • Topic Author
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
More
7 years 7 months ago #142214 by izzie
Replied by izzie on topic The Book Thread
I'm reading the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho right now, it's really good...

More
7 years 7 months ago #142216 by CurrentlycRazie

izzie wrote: I'm reading the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I've heard of that... it's supposed to be really good... someone said it was very philosophical? I haven't read it but I want to ^^

More
7 years 7 months ago #142217 by Laura Victory
Replied by Laura Victory on topic The Book Thread
I like biographies (not autobiographies) about historical figures. I have read one about Marie-Antoinette and a couple about Dutch historical people. And I started one about Julius Ceaser but that one needed a lot of brain work, so I put it away for a while. :=D ;)

~Flying on the wings of victory~

• GunsNCrüeSWE
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Diehard Dietist
  • I am of my father the devil...
More
7 years 7 months ago #142423 by GunsNCrüeSWE
Replied by GunsNCrüeSWE on topic The Book Thread
Reading various work by August Strindberg. Good stuff really.

And all that is holy, holy shall be...
Let the light bless and
let these words proclaim the blessing.
Let the seal be broken and let the light prevail

• XiLaii
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • The Strange
More
7 years 7 months ago #142463 by XiLaii
Replied by XiLaii on topic The Book Thread
I've actually finished a disgustingly small amount of books this year. But I'm currently getting through the original Sherlock Holmes novels/short stories. :). Anyone else read them?
Loving them so far!

Well you know how the story goes, if it's too loud then you're too old.
Photo Blog // Flickr

More
7 years 6 months ago #142605 by CurrentlycRazie
Asking everywhere, so may as well post here... Looking for books on drug and alcohol addiction, particularly experiences (though other stuff is useful as well!), for a huge project that I'm doing. Can anyone think of any others? Any help would be greatly appreciated! ^^

The ones I've got so far are:

- The Heroin Diaries (obviously XD) - Nikki Sixx
- A Million Little Pieces - James Frey
- Dry. A Memoir - Augusten Burroughs
- Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction - Jack Trimpey
- Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace
- I'm Dancing As Fast As I Can (Unknown)
- Why Don't They Just Quit? - Joe Herganek
- Awoken By An Angel - Laurence Stanway
- Fingers On The Ledge - Catherine Patterson-Sterling
- The Addictive Personality: Understanding the Addictive Process - Craig Nakken
- My Own Worst Enemy - Ronnie Steele
- We All Fall Down - Nic Skeff
- Everything I Never Wanted To Be - Dina Kucera
- Leaving Las Vegas - John O' Brien
- Under The Volcano - Malcolm Lowry
- The Basketball Diaries - Jim Carroll
- Valley of the Dolls - Jaqueline Susann
- Go Ask Alice (Unknown)
- Junkie - William S. Burroughs

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds