Crashdiet

Your 5 favorite albums

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #157708 by glam_junkie
glam_junkie replied the topic: Your 5 favorite albums
I'd say it would be impossible to pick my "favourite" 5 albums, but maybe the albums that have influenced me and my musical tastes the most are:

Bon Jovi - New Jersey
.... this is basically the album of my youth. In 1988 i was only 11 years old, and i think this album will always be looked back on as a milestone for me.

Poison - Open Up & Say ....Ahh!
This was the first "glam" album i ever got,and first concert tour i ever went to. Kinda set the path for my musical tastes. I would sit and read the album lyrics from start to finish. Even today i know every word, every little detail of the album.

Pretty Boy Floyd - Leather Boyz With Electric Toys
this was virtually unknown in Australia and i brought this album from a collectors store and it made me look beyond MTV to what other cool bands were out there. SO not necessarily my favourite album anymore, but it had a massive influence to what followed

Heart Throb Mob - Eat Your Heart Out
i guess this was the first independent album i bought, and opened up the doors to a whole new arena of music, then discovering bands like Big Bang Babies, Peppermint Creeps, etc...

Crashdiet - Rest In Sleaze -
launched my obsession with the new wave of sleaze, and especially the swedish scene, and other bands like Hardcore Superstar.

I love different albums at different times, but these are most likey the ones that influenced me the most.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by glam_junkie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #157711 by Ralphy Lee Fox
Ralphy Lee Fox replied the topic: Your 5 favorite albums

glam_junkie wrote: Heart Throb Mob - Eat Your Heart Out
i guess this was the first independent album i bought, and opened up the doors to a whole new arena of music, then discovering bands like Big Bang Babies, Peppermint Creeps, etc...

Props for that. It's kinda rare to find people who aprecciate this weird but fun genre of glam rock. I mean, this whole bubblegum thing like the Creeps, HTM, Queeny Blast Pop, Candy Apple Queenz, Lollipop Bitches, Big Bang Babies, Penny Lane, Trash Brats, The Zeros, Star Star etc. etc.
I personally dig it, fun stuff. Not too crazy about it but it's listenable. Too bad some of the bands from this genre never managed to release an album but left some great demos, like f.e. Tragedy, Bubblegum Mafia or Lovemaker.

More
5 years 6 months ago #157712 by glam_junkie

Ralphy Lee Fox wrote:

Props for that. It's kinda rare to find people who aprecciate this weird but fun genre of glam rock. I mean, this whole bubblegum thing like the Creeps, HTM, Queeny Blast Pop, Candy Apple Queenz, Lollipop Bitches, Big Bang Babies, Penny Lane, Trash Brats, The Zeros, Star Star etc. etc.
I personally dig it, fun stuff. Not too crazy about it but it's listenable. Too bad some of the bands from this genre never managed to release an album but left some great demos, like f.e. Tragedy, Bubblegum Mafia or Lovemaker.

Actually,... StarStar is one of my all time favourites and it has a special spot with me.
This should probably go in the same section as Pretty Boy Floyd... ie it opened my eyes to other music that i was not seeing on MTV.

I think StarStar and also Saigon Kick are the 2 most under rated band from that era in my opinion.

More
5 years 6 months ago #157713 by peterlondon
peterlondon replied the topic: Your 5 favorite albums

Definitely one of the best looking bands ever. The CD is pretty good too! :)

//LONDON

“Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think.
Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there
was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than
when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh...

More
5 years 6 months ago #157715 by glam_junkie

peterlondon wrote:

Definitely one of the best looking bands ever. The CD is pretty good too! :)

//LONDON

so far over the top, they're crazy!

Traci Michaelz is likely my most admired musician. (which i why i had his pic as my avatar on the old forum). His drumming may not have been the most classical or technically correct , but he was just an insane beast on the drums.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #157716 by Ralphy Lee Fox

glam_junkie wrote: Actually,... StarStar is one of my all time favourites and it has a special spot with me.
This should probably go in the same section as Pretty Boy Floyd... ie it opened my eyes to other music that i was not seeing on MTV.

I think StarStar and also Saigon Kick are the 2 most under rated band from that era in my opinion.

Totally agree. Star Star deserved way more attention. With their catchy melodies and quite original and really good lyrics, they seemed to be one of the best bands of the early 90's. The Love Drag Years is a classic and Johnnie Holiday looks like a real Marc Bolan's successor to me. All Star Star stuff sounds a lot like T. Rex, too.

glam_junkie wrote: Traci Michaelz is likely my most admired musician. (which i why i had his pic as my avatar on the old forum). His drumming may not have been the most classical or technically correct , but he was just an insane beast on the drums.

As a drummer myself, I gotta admit that he was a fucking beast and definitely a pro on the drums. He will be missed.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Ralphy Lee Fox.

More
5 years 6 months ago #157718 by glam_junkie

Ralphy Lee Fox wrote:
Totally agree. Star Star deserved way more attention. With their catchy melodies and quite original and really good lyrics, they seemed to be one of the best bands of the early 90's. The Love Drag Years is a classic and Johnnie Holiday looks like a real Marc Bolan's successor to me. All Star Star stuff sounds a lot like T. Rex, too.

It weird that their first album (Go Go Girls in Love) is impossible to find, yet their 2nd album (Love Drag Years) can be found for $2 everywhere.

I've been looking for the first cd for probably 15 years now, and still can't lay my hands on it, although i did manage to get the vinyl version. Johnny actually promised to give me his last copy many years ago, but i think must have changed his mind.

Was speaking to Johnny on Facebook maybe 1 year ago and he said they had a new cd to release.... but it seems to have never eventuated. They did put up 1 song which (from memory) was pretty good though.

More
5 years 6 months ago #157719 by Ralphy Lee Fox

glam_junkie wrote: Was speaking to Johnny on Facebook maybe 1 year ago and he said they had a new cd to release.... but it seems to have never eventuated. They did put up 1 song which (from memory) was pretty good though.

Yup. There were some news spread all over the internet about their reunion and a forthcoming new album. It was supposed to be called "Rock N' Roll Trash Au Go Go Show" and the new song they made was "Pizza Patti". It's a really amazing tune in the vein of "The Love Drag Years". Might even be just some old demo 'cause it sounds totally like every other song on this album.
They were supposed to work on the new album a couple of years ago already but we haven't heard from Jonnie and co. in a while so I guess there isn't really anything goin on in the Star Star camp lately.

Star Star - Pizza Patti:

More
5 years 6 months ago #157720 by glam_junkie

Ralphy Lee Fox wrote:

glam_junkie wrote: Was speaking to Johnny on Facebook maybe 1 year ago and he said they had a new cd to release.... but it seems to have never eventuated. They did put up 1 song which (from memory) was pretty good though.

Yup. There were some news spread all over the internet about their reunion and a forthcoming new album. It was supposed to be called "Rock N' Roll Trash Au Go Go Show" and the new song they made was "Pizza Patti". It's a really amazing tune in the vein of "The Love Drag Years". Might even be just some old demo 'cause it sounds totally like every other song on this album.
They were supposed to work on the new album a couple of years ago already but we haven't heard from Jonnie and co. in a while so I guess there isn't really anything goin on in the Star Star camp lately.

Pretty sure Pizza Patti is a lot older.
They actually released another brand new song just last year called "Baby Bump Bump" which looks like it has been removed now as the link doesn't seem to be working anymore....

www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbi...p;id=307340529276316

And it was in the vein of their older stuff aswell. Not sure if there's anywhere else this can be heard.

More
5 years 6 months ago #157724 by Sheila
Sheila replied the topic: Your 5 favorite albums

Ralphy Lee Fox wrote:

That genre is really fun, I love it :lol:. So charming with all the low-quality demos. As you said, its kinda rare to find people that likes it.
Listening to bands like that always makes me wanna color my hair in some crazy color, haha.

More
5 years 6 months ago #157734 by martinkrush
martinkrush replied the topic: Your 5 favorite albums
You did not think you got rid of me, did you? :P Not yet at least ;).

riKki reKkless wrote:

Marmetal wrote: Dude, we've been at the same show ;). I travelled to Austria just to witness that (yes, I'm very hardcore fan) and it was one of the best days in my life.

Freak! :P

Yes, I'm a Metalli-freak and proud of it, totally (also known for my passion and dedication all over the world)! ;) For the most part of my life now :). But with a "sober" view on things, since I'm not a blinded fan, although I know some people like that, regardless of the artist they're fans of.

riKki reKkless wrote:

Marmetal wrote: If it wasn't for Metallica then bands like Slayer or Megadeth would still be playing small, dirty clubs

Actually right though!

I know I'm right ;). And Metallica alone attracts more people than three other bands altogether. Proven fact, not my fantasy :). It was a blessing for Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax to be part of the Big 4 shows and they still repeat in interviews that they'd love more events like that (of course) with 'Tallica ;). They didn't need that since they fill stadiums all over the world alone, but for other bands that kind of exposure was the highlight of their careers. Awesome thing :).

Marmetal wrote: There was a shitload of other bands doing the same kinda stuff at the same time Metallica was starting to play.

Yes. With the significant difference that Metallica was (and still is) miles ahead with their music, lyrics, compositions, songwriting and talent ;). I think this topic is over for me now since no one will prove me wrong anyway and I'm not gonna write books here, trying to convince about what's right or what's wrong :). History showed the truth, no one can deny and question that, thank you.

mrs v. viper wrote: ... I just came here to let you know I actually enjoyed this topic... before it went completely off-topic. :P

;)

Let's blame Dave Mustaine! :lol:

GunsNCrüeSWE wrote: This topic was boring before the off topicness.

True that :).

More
5 years 6 months ago #158514 by Ralphy Lee Fox

Sheila wrote: Listening to bands like that always makes me wanna color my hair in some crazy color, haha.

Haha it does! It does! Wearing all those bracelets, skirts and trashy clothes, looking like some freakshow hookers, playing all the sha-la-la-la tunes that are stuck in your head forever after the first listen already, those bands are way amusing. :)

Marmetal wrote: Yes. With the significant difference that Metallica was (and still is) miles ahead with their music, lyrics, compositions, songwriting and talent ;). I think this topic is over for me now since no one will prove me wrong anyway and I'm not gonna write books here, trying to convince about what's right or what's wrong :). History showed the truth, no one can deny and question that, thank you.

I really see no reason why Metallica was supposed to be 'ahead of their time' or maybe 'miles ahead with their music', while, as I stated before, they were just one mediocre band out of the whole bunch of heavy metal bands doing exactly the same thing. They were lucky enough to be picked by the record company and that's pretty much about it. It's a shame they took up the place for someone more talented, though.

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds