Crashdiet

How to write a song?

More
6 years 3 weeks ago - 6 years 3 weeks ago #155744 by Anna Gable
Anna Gable created the topic: How to write a song?
I've been asked to make a soundtrack to my novel, and the person doesn't give up, lol. But... I have no idea how you actually write a song. I make lyrics, I'm a writer, but... well...

So here's to all of you who make your own music: Please describe your process to give me some ideas in what end to start. I have a lot of melodies in my head, but no idea how to get them out, or if they're worth continuing on, some are of course only fragments. I guess several of you here make music, and that there are several ways to approach it, and that's why it would be great to hear how you do! I also know that the same songwriter can start in different ends, some start with a riff, some with a rythm and some with a melody etc, and that this can vary from song to song, but if you have several ways, well, please write them all down.

Here's what I know and what I have to work with:
*) Can play: I'm a singer (pretty experienced) and a bass player (still consider myself beginner, even if I guess it's okay), I can play chords on the guitar, but consider myself a beginner, I played the piano as a kid, so I know how it works, even if it's very rusty and I can play basic rythms on a cajun-drum.
*) Digital stuff: I have a good microphone, a good sound card (line6) a free recording programme (Audacity), and Garage Band for Mac (which I can't master, no matter how much I love my Mac, lol, so I don't know how to make a digital background with drum mashine etc).
*) Notes etc: I write and read notes and tabs.
*) Physical equipment: voice, the 3 octave piano on the line 6, 2 guitars (electric and acoustic), 4 basses (electric + threatless such and acoustic - not stand up, but guitar), a cajun-drum and an "egg". All but the egg can be directly lined in (voice via microphone)

PS Hmmm, where is the check box to get a mail if someone answers?

New novel: "Ghosts, Drugs & rock n'Roll". About rock, sudden death, ghosts and a story from the past that repeats itself. Lizbeth Hellman about it: "Oh God, it's a lot like David's life too!" Get it at www.zorf.se (Swe, Engl & French) and support it for me at facbook.com/Zorf.se (Swe, Eng). The...
Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Anna Gable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #155753 by SallyCruz666
SallyCruz666 replied the topic: How to write a song?
I try to write music melodies and lyrics sometimes. Actually I'm working on a song I composed with my cousin (she plays bass), but I have found the biggest of the song myself. I've started to do a riff and my cousin gave me the rythm of a verse and i've found the chords. Personnally I prefert make the music before and I put lyrics on it after. But sometimes I find music thanks to lyrics i've wrote. And the rest of the song comes in my mind and I try to make it sounds good. When I have enough to make a song, I register it, I correct some things if it doesn't sound and i write lyrics.
I don't have a lot of experience to write songs, it's the first song I work seriously on. I have a lot of melodies in my mind too, but I don't know what to do with. And I write a lot of lyrics without music. I hope I will find something to do with=) I hope it will help you to write your own songs=)

Everybody dies, why not die as a warrior? LONG LIVE ROCK N' ROLL!!!!!!!!!! :D

R.I.S. Dave Lepard

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #155759 by Anna Gable
Anna Gable replied the topic: How to write a song?

SallyCruz666 wrote: I try to write music melodies and lyrics sometimes. Actually I'm working on a song I composed with my cousin (she plays bass), but I have found the biggest of the song myself. I've started to do a riff and my cousin gave me the rythm of a verse and i've found the chords. Personnally I prefert make the music before and I put lyrics on it after. But sometimes I find music thanks to lyrics i've wrote. And the rest of the song comes in my mind and I try to make it sounds good. When I have enough to make a song, I register it, I correct some things if it doesn't sound and i write lyrics.
I don't have a lot of experience to write songs, it's the first song I work seriously on. I have a lot of melodies in my mind too, but I don't know what to do with. And I write a lot of lyrics without music. I hope I will find something to do with=) I hope it will help you to write your own songs=)

Thanks, that sounds nice. When you have the song in your head, how do you put it down? Do you write the notes from your head, or sing it as a recording, or play it, or how? And if you make something digital, what programme (for recording or maybe drums etc) do you use?

New novel: "Ghosts, Drugs & rock n'Roll". About rock, sudden death, ghosts and a story from the past that repeats itself. Lizbeth Hellman about it: "Oh God, it's a lot like David's life too!" Get it at www.zorf.se (Swe, Engl & French) and support it for me at facbook.com/Zorf.se (Swe, Eng). The...

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #155760 by IzzyReid
IzzyReid replied the topic: How to write a song?
I've been writing songs for many years, both on my own and with various underground bands.. There's not really a right or wrong way to do it, everyone has their own way to get their ideas out of their heads and turn it into music..
What I do when I write music is... start playing the guitar and try to transform the idea in my head into a riff on the guitar (I can't really describe how to do that part..) and then when I have something close to what I want, I write it down or record it, and start fooling around with the riff, just to see what I can get out of it.. I usually have an idea on how the vocals should go, and I try to write the riffs so they will fit with the vocal-melody..
Writing the rest of the riffs for the song kinda works the same way... When I hear the first riff I usually get an idea for a second riff .. and then I do the same thing as I described above again

What I think is important is that the riffs go together kinda naturally.. You usually don't want a black metal-verse and a pop-chorus (unless you're writing for some kinda extreme metal band).. For me that was something I had to learn over time.. I wrote a whole bunch of songs before I wrote one that I was happy with and liked.. And I still write lots of riffs that I choose to just "throw away" after a while.

So the best tips I have is really to just give it time.. don't rush it, and don't say it's finished before you're 100 percent happy with it yourself.. and pick up a guitar and just try to figure out what works best for you.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #155761 by SallyCruz666
SallyCruz666 replied the topic: How to write a song?

Anna Gable wrote: Thanks, that sounds nice. When you have the song in your head, how do you put it down? Do you write the notes from your head, or sing it as a recording, or play it, or how? And if you make something digital, what programme (for recording or maybe drums etc) do you use?

When I have the song in my head I play it with my guitar and I write the notes on a paper to not forget. I record it with my phone but the quality is not very good. To find the rythm of the lyrics I listen the record and I try to find the good rythm for it. I don't have program for drums so I try to imagine how it could sound, my uncle plays drum and he can help me for it=)

Everybody dies, why not die as a warrior? LONG LIVE ROCK N' ROLL!!!!!!!!!! :D

R.I.S. Dave Lepard

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #155767 by Chardonaytje
Chardonaytje replied the topic: How to write a song?
I dont make beats myself but i can write lyrics... I write my feelings on paper and also how i think about the society...
I can go on forever about it but it also good for your self to write stuff on paper... Some times you can make poem or stories of it aswell :lol:

~Don't cry, just have a little patience~
~I'll be your clown, behind the glass, Go 'head and laugh, cause it's funny
I would do, If I saw me...
My life's a circus-circus rounding circles, im selling out tonight...~
[/i][/size]

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #155869 by julius leopard
julius leopard replied the topic: How to write a song?
I've written countless songs too.

I find inspiration in everyday life. That's why I nrmally start with the lyrics.

Once the lyrics are quite right and reflects my feelings, I chose a scale and start the music.

I cut some words and sentences, just to fit the rythm.

Sometimes I work with bass 'n' paper, sometimes directly via TuxGuitar. The only limit is your fantasy.

I try to find the notes for the voices too, but this is the hardest part since I'm not a good singer.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by julius leopard.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #155881 by riKki reKkless
riKki reKkless replied the topic: How to write a song?
It‘s kinda hard, if you don‘t really know how to start. I guess you just miss your inspiration.
As many here I usually start with playing guitar or bass to play what is going on in my head. If the riff fits, I type it down in Guitar Pro. Some musicians/songwriters actually start right with Guitar Pro, without even touching an instrument. You can type in diverent layers of guitars, bass, drums, vocals, whatever you want. Sometimes you can even find pretty interesting riffs just with experimenting in Guitar Pro.
Guitar Pro and Cubase (for example) are even compatible. You can load it into the recording programm and can play to it.

Good luck! Looking forward to your story, how your songwriting turned out!

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #155957 by IzzyReid
IzzyReid replied the topic: How to write a song?

riKki reKkless wrote: I type it down in Guitar Pro. Some musicians/songwriters actually start right with Guitar Pro, without even touching an instrument. You can type in diverent layers of guitars, bass, drums, vocals, whatever you want. Sometimes you can even find pretty interesting riffs just with experimenting in Guitar Pro.
Guitar Pro and Cubase (for example) are even compatible. You can load it into the recording programm and can play to it.

I use Guitar Pro a lot too.. great software to help you remember your ideas later.. even though the sound sucks

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds