• *bettina*
  • Topic Author
  • Getting groovy
  • Getting groovy
More
12 years 8 months ago #42937 by *bettina*
How we were in the 80s was created by *bettina*
1 -We didn’t have cell phones:
all communication was made through home phone and telephone booths. If you invited someone to a party, you had to draw a map of your city/neighborhood to help people find your place. If they got lost, and had no money to make a call, or there were no phone booths in the space of 2 miles, they would probably not show up.

Telephone booths were very popular for any forbidden act (how romantic). :rolleyes:

2- We didn’t know what a CD was - or we did know, but they were some new expensive technology we thought we could never afford. CDs were just some space flashy round objects we saw in our folks’ magazines, and if we ever named them, they were called Compact Discs.

We used vinyl. We had records. It was funny to play 33 to 45 and vice-versa.
We knew how to replace a record player needle and how to repair a broken tape (open the tape with a tiny screwdriver cut out the broken part, and put scotch tape on it, hoping it won't fuck up your stereo). :rolleyes:

We used to bring records to friends houses and parties.

We used to identify songs as “First A-side” ... “Fourth B-side” and we called a record “LP”.

We used to swap tapes with friends, and if you had the “Fast dubbing system” in your stereo, you were just so cool. 8-)

We didn’t have ipods, we had our walkman, and buying AA batteries was something we did almost everyday (at least I did).

3- We used to buy our clothes in regular stores. There was no online shopping, and rock clothes were something you couldn’t find so easily, so we used to make our own clothes, with safety pins, coke can rings, homemade studs, etc. We used bleach to stain our jeans and t-shirts.

GREAT TIMES... *sigh*

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 8 months ago #42938 by waspgirl
Replied by waspgirl on topic How we were in the 80s
:lol: :lol:

Great times indeed!

More
12 years 8 months ago #42993 by vera_gnr
Replied by vera_gnr on topic How we were in the 80s
YUP, really great times!!! It´s a pitty I was born in 1988, hehehe...

More
12 years 8 months ago #42994 by girsindri
Replied by girsindri on topic How we were in the 80s
I'm sure you all had a great time in the 80s, but it would have been even greater if I had been born in the 80s :lol:

More
12 years 8 months ago #43001 by brittney
Replied by brittney on topic How we were in the 80s
I was born towards the end of the 80s, so I missed out but I've seen photos of my sister looking very awesome. I remember walkmans and how basic, rare and expensive computers were. :lol

Those were the days...

More
12 years 8 months ago #43080 by mrlee
Replied by mrlee on topic How we were in the 80s
even though somethings in the 80s sucked ass.....

the music sure didnt.

More
12 years 8 months ago #43149 by strung out
Replied by strung out on topic How we were in the 80s

*BETTINA* wrote:
It was funny to play 33 to 45 and vice-versa.

Still funny

More
12 years 8 months ago #43153 by el?siveness
Replied by el?siveness on topic How we were in the 80s
sucked ass, like what?

was born in 85 and it's also my main regret!
'cause many artists i love reached the top at this very period....on a musical point of view, wish i could have lived this era, where gigs were so cheap, where the guys of skid row were teasing grannys in southern france :lol: etc.

my walkman wasn't a "1st generation" one but i did not have the autoreverse function on my machine so it was a pain in the ass but it also helped me out to get this kind of privileged moment, to keep the time to appreciate things, especially music :) ...
and you could surely find out how much you liked some bands judging at how used were the lp's you got :] now it's kinda different.......and i wish i could have lived the 80s for that!

however i understand what john norum says when he keeps on declaring that the 80s were the worst era ever, from a musical point of view.
i mean, regardless the fact that the HardRock bands were a part of the main scene.......the "new wave" movement and all that electro stuff still seem pretty empty to me, but it's a matter of taste after all..

oh and bettina you forgot something: how 'special' were the wallpapers... :lol:

• *bettina*
  • Topic Author
  • Getting groovy
  • Getting groovy
More
12 years 8 months ago #43282 by *bettina*
Replied by *bettina* on topic How we were in the 80s

elüsiveness wrote:
oh and bettina you forgot something: how 'special' were the wallpapers... :lol:

What do you mean with wallpapers?

:rolleyes:

More
12 years 8 months ago #43444 by el?siveness

*BETTINA* wrote: What do you mean with wallpapers?

Naww the only thing that shocked me a little on my childhood pix is actually how special the walls were at this time....I guess a mix with my relatives' bad tastes + the 80s spirit must have a huge part in the whole thing :p

• *bettina*
  • Topic Author
  • Getting groovy
  • Getting groovy
More
12 years 8 months ago #43450 by *bettina*
Replied by *bettina* on topic How we were in the 80s

elüsiveness wrote:

*BETTINA* wrote: What do you mean with wallpapers?

Naww the only thing that shocked me a little on my childhood pix is actually how special the walls were at this time....I guess a mix with my relatives' bad tastes + the 80s spirit must have a huge part in the whole thing :p

Do you mean something like this? :rolleyes:

I think this kind of thing belongs more to the 70s style (which I ADORE). Eames style design etc.
I had a wallpaper similar to this in my house but that was the 70s probably the one you had too was there from the 70s...
During the 80s the style changed dramatically, actually the walls were more glamorous painted all in white or mellow colours (pink, apple green, sky blue, etc. ).

For my work I collect pics of 70s and 80s design I must post some 80s stuff when I'm sober... (tomorrow hopefully).

More
12 years 8 months ago #43451 by el?siveness
Oh no, I would have recognized the typical 70s-style since my mother has always kept some vintage memorabilia from her hippie period...and I like it even if it ain't my fave style :)

That wasn't that kind of style at all, the 70s was REALLY joyful compared to the stuff we got! lol
Didn't have many colours, looked pretty odd......looked like some granny's wallpapers if you get what I mean...I ain't sure whether it was the typical 80s art, since I didn't see anything GLAMOUROUS in those wallpapers and I didn't see anything like that in 80s movies, videos,etc. I watched so far :lol:
but it did invade my childhood memories....painfully ;)

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds