Crashdiet

[ALBUM REVIEW] Rust (Rockfiend Publications Scotland)

• peterlondon
  • peterlondon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Admin
  • Admin
  • Mr London
More
6 days 7 hours ago #164324 by peterlondon
By Iain McArthur (Rockfiend Publications Scotland) (2019-09-04)

Original URL : www.facebook.com/rockfiendps/

- - - -

You could never doubt the authenticity of Swedish sleaze-mongers Crashdïet given their backstory filled with chaos, substance abuse and suicide. If ever a band would have been happy sharing a gutter on Sunset Strip with ‪Motley Crue‬ and ‪Skid Row‬ in the eighties it’s these guys. Now, after a 6-year gap, they’re back with a kick-ass 5th album – this time featuring relative newcomer, Gabriel Keyes as their 4th singer. He fits right in and delivers an accomplished and attitude-filled performance throughout

Title song ‘Rust’ is the lead track and benefits from a decent promo video. The same goes for ‘Idiots’ – the promo features some clever 80s movie references including the Wayne’s World car scene and the Chris Holmes swimming pool bit from ‘The Decline of Western Civilisation II’ - again, these guys would fit right in there. ‘Into the Wild’ is also a standout early track and fairly romps along before an infectious chorus kicks in.
So far, so fast and sleazy but the band are also really effective when they dial down the chaos just a bit. ‘Crazy’ is a slightly twisted love song in the style of Reckless Love and ‘Parasite’ is equally catchy. The highlight for me is the introspective semi-ballad ‘In the Maze’. It’s a stunner, featuring poignant lyrics about loss and being lost and features great performances on bass and lead guitar.

There’s much to like here including the quirky penultimate track ‘Stop Weirding Me Out’. I was also taken with the cover art by Christel Mentges; I’ve no idea what that’s all about but it will look good on a T shirt. By all accounts, they also deliver a fine live show so check them out.

Rust is released by Frontiers ‪on 13 September 2019‬
Crashdïet tour the UK with ‪Skid Row‬ in early December 2019

IM

“Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think.
Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there
was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than
when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds