Crashdiet

Dave Lepard (Crashdiet) Interview from oct 05 from Burrn!

• hanoirocker23
  • Topic Author
  • New Here...
  • New Here...
More
8 years 7 months ago #116611 by hanoirocker23
This was from Burrn! magazine from Japan. The interviewer was Yumiko Haba. I translated this with a Japanese Friend of mine. Burrn! is a Japanese music magazine.

Burrn Magazine Oct 2005 Interview With Dave Lepard (Crashdiet) (Interviewer was Yumiko Haba)

Burrn-
How do you feel about releasing your album in Sweden and Japan?

Dave-
This is the biggest event of my life. I was waiting for that day, from when I was born. Japan is our biggest dream, so I feel really great. This is the best event, and I’m really happy to release our album in Japan.

Burrn
According to your answer, in previous interviews, when you got your acoustic guitar in 1985, when you were 5 years old, what did you want to play with this guitar?

Dave
There were a lot of instruments in my house. My father plays guitar, and my mother plays piano. When I became 5 years old, I just had the guitar.

Burrn
Do you remember what kind of music you played?

Dave
Well, maybe, I played Swedish children’s songs or something, I don’t remember very well. Maybe I played the “Final Countdown” by Europe.

Burrn
You got the Final Countdown by Europe, This is the 1st album you got right? This album was released in 1986. Did you buy this album in that year?

Dave
Actually I don’t remember whether this album was the 1st album for me, or not. I forgot about what I bought as my 1st album. But I remember I got the album which is the Final Countdown. Other things I forgot.

BURRN
How old were you when you got that album?

Dave
Six or Seven Years old.

Burrn
Was this your first album for hard rock?

Dave
Yes, maybe yes. But I have many sisters, they gave me a lot of albums, so I had a lot of albums such as Accept, and Black Sabbath.

Burrn
Did you become a rock musician because of your sisters?
Dave
Yes, I loved rock music.

Burrn
You lived with rock music, when you were born?

Dave
Yes

Burrn
Europe is very popular around the world as a hard rock band in Northern Europe.
Are you affected by them?

Dave
Yes, exactly. They are very famous and popular in Sweden as a hard rock band. So I was affected by them. But when I got a little older, then they broke up. That was regrettable, because they were really good musicians so I was absolutely affected by them. If they are doing stupid things,

Burrn
What do you think of when Europe when they reformed?

Dave
I don’t like them anymore.
Nobody wants to see the reformed Europe.
I want to see the old Europe.
Why don’t they make an album like they used to?

Burrn
Did Appetite for Destruction by Guns N Roses change your life?
But I’m surprised if you listen to this album when this album was released. When did you find out about this album, and how did you find out about this album?

Dave
My sisters told me about this album and I loved my sister and her friends all the time.
They were beautiful and have long hair and were in my house and listened to music of Metallica, Guns N Roses. So I listened to those albums. I think Appetite for Destruction is the most awesome album in the history of Hard Rock. So I listened to this album every day.

Burrn
Why do you think this is so awesome?

Dave
This album has such variety, this is not just hard rock, this is not just heavy metal. There are a lot of things in this album. Axl Rose is the biggest star, and he is the best. So if his new album of Chinese Democracy was released, it would be the best album. I listened to most of the music of Chinese Democracy, I really love the songs.

Burrn
When Guns n Roses was the best, you were still in middle school. So did you see any of their concerts?

Dave
When they toured for a concert of Appetite For Destruction, I didn’t go to those concerts. I went to their concert in 1993. I was excited. That was the best concert. I was still 12 or 13 years old. I was trying to go to concerts with friends not parents. Guns N Roses was really awesome. Axl is just alone now.

Burrn
How was onstage performance.

Dave
I haven’t seen them yet. But if all the old members came back, I would go to their concert.

Burrn
Have you seen a Velvet Revolver show?

Dave
No,

Burrn
When they were looking for a singer did you want to try out to be their singer,

Dave
I don’t like the band, I just like Axl. I don’t want to work with them. Axl is Guns N Roses, other members change the name, but Axl is like a diva. I think that is cool.

Burrn
Skid Row’s 2nd album Slave to the Grind, Changed your life too? Were you affected by the 1st Skid Row album. What do you think of Skid Row?

Dave
Skid Row is my favorite band, like Guns N Roses. 1st album and 2nd album are important for me. The reason of choosing “Slave to the Grind” is harder than the 1st album. Sebastian Bach is on these albums, and he is really awesome. 1st album is awesome too, but I want to recommend “Slave to the Grind.”
For example, the people who just listened to “Youth Gone Wild,” but Skid Row has other music. “Slave to the Grind” Expressed them. Other bands’ albums are inferior to Slave to the Grind?

Burrn
Sebastian Bach and Axl Rose are your heroes, Sebastian Bach was in the Sweden Rock Fest this year. Did you see him?

Dave
No, I just did a tour in the UK. But I did watch Skid Row in 1995, when they came to Sweden. In that time I shaked hands with Sebastian.

Burrn
That’s Great
Also GG Allin changed your life as you said. He is a punk rocker, in NY isn’t he?
He Is no major singer, so how did you know of him?

Dave
I don’t only listen to Hard Rock and 80s metal. I have other aspects, I listen to 10 CC and GG, I also listen to folk music. I listen to all good music. I respect people who have originality or are interesting. I don’t like people who are just singing. You should be crazy in order to become the biggest rock star. GG Allin is the most crazy guy for me. His album is really good, and he is really crazy.

BURRN
You also like the album by Saxon “Denim and Leather” How did this album affect you?

Dave
It’s just my hobby. When I was a child, I kissed many girls and my sisters ‘ boyfriends listened to Saxon’s music, that is why I listen to Saxon’s music. That album reminds me of a lot of things. One of the best Heavy Metal songs is “Princess of the Night” from this album. That is really cool.

BURRN
When did you start your band?

Dave
Maybe when I was 10 , 11, when I was in school. I played punk rock.

BURRN
Did you have any goals?

Dave
I wanted to be CrashDiet. I was always thinking about Crashdiet. I was saying that I want to become the biggest rock star for the ages. When I was 4 years of age, I said these things. I didn’t know how to become this big rock star. I was just want to become this way, so I am doing my best right now.

BURRN
Crashdiet started from 2000. How did you put the members together.

DAVE
There was heavy metal and other music ,l in Sweden. I have many friends that are heavy metal musicians and other forms of music. When I started this band I called a few musicians, and talked with them and made music with them. I was making music from 1997 for this band. But I took 3 years to find the members. My band started like that.

BURRN
I heard that in the band there is bloody fighting in 2002. Then you separated. What happened?

DAVE
That was not a big deal. We had different opinions. They didn’t want to listen to my suggestions. They wanted to do mysterious rock n roll. But I wanted to do mainstream rock n roll. So we separated and I got the new members. That is Crashdiet.

BURRN
Who were the members from the beginning?

DAVE
Just Me, I started Crashdiet, and have kept going. I started the band by myself and picked the members, but they quit, so I got new members. I keep my band like that.

BURRN
How did the other members join the band?

DAVE
Most of the members were friends. Our bass player was in Paradise, a kind of glam band. He had long black hair and he wore kind of like girly clothes. He looked like a prostitute. When I saw him I decided to bring him into my band. The other 2 guys were my friends before so I just asked them.

BURRN
There are famous Swedish Rock N Roll bands such as Backyard Babies, the Helicopters, and they are famous in Japan, but Crashdiet is kind of like 1980s LA Metal music. Is it rare?

DAVE
No there are a lot of bands like that. We are kind of like crazy 1980s music. Crazy 1980s music is really famous in Sweden. There are ten or twenty bands in Sweden like Crashdiet. That type of music is really popular. I hope the big record companies are interested in bands like that. There are really good bands. I don’t usually listen to the music of Backyard Babies and the Helicopters. Their Rock N Roll Music is a little bit modest. There are a lot of bands similar to Crashdiet, like Paradise, Sticky Sweet, Dark Hagen, Starlet Suicide, Gemini 5. Of course Crashdiet is the best.

BURRN
Is it difficult being in your band?

DAVE
When we play in Sweden, There is a good reaction.
2000 or 3000 people are really excited like the 1980s. I’m really grateful to play in Sweden. I’m really satisfied with that.

BURRN
When I saw your pictures, you sometimes wear RATT t shirts.
Can you tell me about your favorite metal music?

DAVE
Besides Skid Row and Guns N Roses? Well I listened to Ratt, Poison, Stryper. Stryper was the biggest band for us. They are really good. I loved Stryper. I also listened to Motley Crue but I seldom listened to 1980s music. I listened to Rush, 10CC, GG Allin, folk music of Sweden, and pops, I love Christina Aguilera.
I don’t hesitate to say that I didn’t listen to just 1980s music because I don’t think only hard rock of the 1980s influenced me. But the most important thing for me is Guns N Roses and Skid Row.

BURRN
On your questionnaire, you answered that you respect Michael Sweet. What is the reason for that?

DAVE
He is one of the best vocalists and he is good at singing music. He looks like a kind person and also he looks happy. So I respect him. That Christian band is really cool. Stryper is really awesome.

BURRN
By the way, half of Crashdiet music is made with Martin Sweet, the rest of the music is made by just you. There are impressive guitar riffs and chorus. What is the most important thing when you make music?

DAVE
Generally when I make music, I’m not afraid to make a mistake. I criticize myself, I’m trying to make 100% music, if not 100%, I should fix it. A lot of people are just making music but I am not.
I fix music, to be perfect. We should make the best music. We need to make a goal of making music. We should have a really big goal. The important thing is everything. We should make intelligent music like I’m making now.

BURRN
Who do you respect as a songwriter?

DAVE
I think I am the best songwriter so the good song writer is me. (Laughs)

BURRN
Heavy songs in Crashdiet have good guitar solos, does Martin play all of the guitar solos or separate with you?

DAVE
I wrote almost everything with the songs on this album but when I write a song, I don’t want to rewrite the vocal parts. I write all the parts so I write all of the songs and I play guitar solos on 5-6 songs.
Depending upon the song, Martin plays guitar solo, because its easy. Both Martin and I play guitar solos in this album.

BURRN
How many times have you ever done live shows?

DAVE
I did 26 shows this year. I spend a lot of time making albums, and recording so I didn’t have time to do live shows. The album hasn’t been released yet. It’s going to be released a month later. So we don’t have an opportunity to do live shows. But we did a promotional tour for 3 months then we did 26 shows. Its not bad. It’s almost impossible to do live shows if we didn’t release the album but we can do live shows because of the advertising of Crashdiet and things like that.

BURRN
How many times did you do concerts with this lineup?

DAVE
It’s around 40 times. Actually this year we have had most of our live shows. Until then, It’s difficult to do the live show for the demo band. We just had 5 or 6 live shows in 2002 and 2003. I’m not sure but, we did 40 concerts all together.

BURRN
Do you have confidence in your live performance?

DAVE
Of course, I love it. It’s my life, on stage. I can express my feelings and everything on the stage. When I see the audience, who really enjoy the show, I’m really happy.

BURRN
You said, it’s difficult to do the live shows for a demo band. Bands which play music like you, is it hard to live with no contract with a record company.

DAVE
Yes, It’s hard to do, for a small band. I don’t get too much money so it’s hard to live still now. If the album is released, something is going to be changed.

BURRN
Do you have any trouble with appearance?

DAVE
People change their opinion about this band easily. For example, Crashdiet right now, people said the band has changed. Then, they will say, they are rock stars. Yes we are rock stars now but we haven’t changed anything. The band hasn’t changed. The people’s attitude has changed. Many people envy me even my friends, that’s a pity. It’s ok, I just say ”Fuck You.” I will say “Fuck You” to the audience from on the stage.

BURRN
Where did the name of Crashdiet come from?

DAVE
It’s from a Guns N Roses demo. I haven’t heard the word Crashdiet until then. But the meaning of Crashdiet for me it means no money, no food, nothing to do. It’s like Crash. It’s the name for us because all of our members lived with problems. They are doing well to have a different existence right now. So Crashdiet is a really nice name.

BURRN
I don’t think Dave Lepard is your real name. Why do you have this name and when did you get it?

DAVE
This is my real name, actually I have a few names. And I have a name which I got when I was born.
It doesn’t matter. This is my name as an artist and this is my real name. It’s no big deal. I became Dave Lepard a few years ago. It’s an easy story.

BURRN
What is your goal or ambition?

DAVE
First of all, we are going to release the album, then we are going to do the concert tour around the world eternally. Our ambition to accomplish is sharing our music with the world, then I am going to go to Japan as soon as possible and play our music for you guys.

BURRN
I’m looking forward to seeing you in Japan. Thank you very much.

DAVE
Thank you very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• axl whïte
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
More
8 years 7 months ago #116612 by axl whïte
THANK YOU!!! Amazing! I sure hope the translation was correct though, do you have the original text?

Listen to an album from a band you've never heard of every day, get enlightened! :)

More
8 years 7 months ago #116614 by ruuby
Dave sounds so confident in this interview... it's awesome the way that he express himself and i'm still laughing of some parts hahah
thank you :lol:

If you got a little piece of rock, name it the world and own it… - Dave

• hanoirocker23
  • Topic Author
  • New Here...
  • New Here...
More
8 years 7 months ago #116615 by hanoirocker23
As to the questions about this.
Yes this is translated from Japanese from the actual October 2005 issue of BURRN! magazine.
It took me a few months working with a Japanese friend of mine to translate this effectively into English.

• Miss Obscene
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • CAROLINE
More
8 years 7 months ago #116616 by Miss Obscene
Thank you for this translation!

"You know what "normal" is..? A setting on a washing machine. No one wants to be that.." - Ashley Purdy

• martinkrush
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.
More
8 years 7 months ago #116645 by martinkrush
Really cool, thanks for sharing this interview with us! :)

• fizzy
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • fizzy
More
8 years 7 months ago #116657 by fizzy
nice Interview, thx!

BURRN
Who were the members from the beginning?

DAVE
Just Me, I started Crashdiet, and have kept going. I started the band by myself and picked the members, but they quit, so I got new members. I keep my band like that.

this says it all...

"So you ask me how it feels to be a stick in the wheel
I tell you honey it feels alright
to be another clog in the wrecking machine
wouldn't even cross my mind"

• Sandy Sikk
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
More
8 years 7 months ago #116663 by Sandy Sikk
thx for the translation! :lol:

you're north of heaven
maybe somewhere west of hell

• XiLaii
  • Captain of the team
  • Captain of the team
  • The Strange
More
8 years 7 months ago #116670 by XiLaii
Thanks so much for the translation :)

Well you know how the story goes, if it's too loud then you're too old.
Photo Blog // Flickr

More
8 years 7 months ago #116681 by Lizzy Rose
thanks for this! really interesting...

• CrashdietDany
  • New Here...
  • New Here...
  • Daniela
More
8 years 4 months ago #126840 by CrashdietDany

Bon Jovi 06-04-1993 Milano 31-05-2006 Bern 24-05-2008 Munich* Europe 23-01-2007 Milano* Whitesnake/Def Leppard/Journey/Tesla 12-06-2009 Dublin* Richie Kotzen 25-10-2007 Cermenate* Crashdïet/The 69 Eyes/Hardcore Superstar 10-04-2011 Trezzo sull'Adda*

• GunsNCrüeSWE
  • Diehard Dietist
  • Diehard Dietist
  • I am of my father the devil...
More
8 years 1 month ago #133357 by GunsNCrüeSWE
pretty cool :)

And all that is holy, holy shall be...
Let the light bless and
let these words proclaim the blessing.
Let the seal be broken and let the light prevail

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.323 seconds