Crashdiet

"Reborn In Sleaze: A Tribute To Dave Lepard"

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #129027 by Miss Obscene
Miss Obscene replied the topic: "Reborn In Sleaze: A Tribute To Dave Lepard"

izzie wrote: It's like making a poster of Mona Lisa, if you know what i mean. :P

Hahahahahahaha!!! xD I have no idea why I think that's hilarious, maybe I'm tired, but that was funny :P

"You know what "normal" is..? A setting on a washing machine. No one wants to be that.." - Ashley Purdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #129030 by Anna Gable
Anna Gable replied the topic: "Reborn In Sleaze: A Tribute To Dave Lepard"
I know it was for her, but still, the one who made the song owns it, and if that person is gone, the one/ones inheriting owns it, and it's up to them to decide. That is of course the legal issue, and then there is a moral issue too, but that's up to the owners to decide which way they want to go there. Since it's both on YT and for download, I take it the matter is solved in one way or the other, and it's also ok to cover it. In the long run, it's still done out of love, right?

New novel: "Ghosts, Drugs & rock n'Roll". About rock, sudden death, ghosts and a story from the past that repeats itself. Lizbeth Hellman about it: "Oh God, it's a lot like David's life too!" Get it at www.zorf.se (Swe, Engl & French) and support it for me at facbook.com/Zorf.se (Swe, Eng). The...

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #129031 by Anna Gable
PS I asked around, and September is the new release date, since they changed some bands and had to give the new ones time to learn and record their tribute song.

New novel: "Ghosts, Drugs & rock n'Roll". About rock, sudden death, ghosts and a story from the past that repeats itself. Lizbeth Hellman about it: "Oh God, it's a lot like David's life too!" Get it at www.zorf.se (Swe, Engl & French) and support it for me at facbook.com/Zorf.se (Swe, Eng). The...

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #129032 by fizzy
fizzy replied the topic: "Reborn In Sleaze: A Tribute To Dave Lepard"

Anna Gable wrote: Just saying... BlackRain and Crashdiet are not aliens to each other, Swan got on stage with them in Paris and in December they're doing a full concert together. They talk. If Lost Horizons were not ok, I guess they'd talked about that. I'm pretty sure the band memebers are ok with it, (but of course I'm not them).
If anyone can sound a bit like Dave, it's Swan, (even though I'm well aware that a cover should _not_ sound like the original, but have its own qualities, which it also has from what I've heard) and besides in my opinion he's one of the best sleaze singers ever, so to choose him to sing a sensitive song is perfect.
Besides, Lost Horizons can be found in a collection called "Unreleased Demos" that is all over the Internet, so it's not only a home video on YT. I don't get all the negative stuff, people should be happy that so many bands want to honour Dave, to give him cred for their inspiration, because that's what it is.
Now, late spring has turned into summer 2011, but still no album. Does anyone have more news about when it will come?

I TOTALLY disagree with you. Your statement is nonsense and it seems you didnt even get the whole point.

It is not okay to cover this song because it belongs only to 2 people on this earth, one of them is dead. Sure it is "released" or better leaked under the name "Crashdiet" but I think the label "Dave Lepard" would fit so much better.

You say Swan is cool with Crashdiet? Sure he is, no one doubted that, but that doesn't mean that he and his bandmembers have the right to cover this song.

You say Crashdiet is okay with it? Of course they are, because they didnt wrote it, it is basically not their song. Why should they have anything against it?

You say Swan to choose to sing such a sensitive song is perfect because he is one of the greatest sleaze singers? That is totally out of thin air and bullshit. Only because he is good, it doesnt allow him to sing it anyway.

You say Lost Horizons can be found on a collection called "Unreleased Demos" which is all over the internet? Well just read what you wrote, unreleased means its not released, it belongs to noone legally, but it sure belongs to the person/persons resbonsible for it. Which is in this case ONLY Dave Lepard. He is dead. Therefore this song should be untouched. Besides noone never said that its only on Youtube, and to think that is complication somewhat legal in the first place is naive.

Sure it is great that many people give him credit what he has done. But in this special case with BlackRain, I dont see any true love in it. For quite a while now Im starting to think that BlackRain use this Dave Lepard Song along with their connection to the Band and Lisbeth Hellman for their own benefit. BlackRain is that kind of band which will follow every new trend predicted by the machinery. I recommend everyone here to listen to their first album which is not "License To Thrill". But of course they buried this one in their Bio and stuff. They were nothing not a sense Sleaze or Glam Rock back then. But saying now Dave Lepard was a true inspiration just doesnt feel right.

RANT!

EDIT: this is just MY personal opinion

"So you ask me how it feels to be a stick in the wheel
I tell you honey it feels alright
to be another clog in the wrecking machine
wouldn't even cross my mind"

More
8 years 4 weeks ago #129069 by Anna Gable
Sorry, this is long, but I think we need to sort out what is personal feelings here, and what is right according to the law. That done, we're of course all free to have our feelings and opinions. There is nothing personal in this, as I say at the end of this too.

As I said, when someone passes, someone else inherits. Things, songs or whatever it is, can't belong to people who have passed, no matter how sad the situation. If thre is a will, you follow it, and if there is not, the law states the new owner. Things, songs or rights, thing left behind doesn't get into some void, they are belongings, that's how the law works. That said, I think we can state the fact: someone owns this song now. So, if a song was written for someone (in general terms), and there is a wil when the songwriter passesl that gives it to him or her, that person becomes the owner. If there is no will, the rights goes to the one nearest in line as stated in the law, not to the one the song was writen for (because such things can never be prooven in court). It might be sad, it might sound hard, but that's how it works. (In Swedish, it's called "Ärvdabalken".)

Concerning covers: If you want to perform a cover anywhere in public, record it etc, according to Swedish law, you must have an ok from the one owning the rights. (If the song is registered by STIM you must also notify STIM, that goes for both covers and original songs as soon as a song is registered.) You also have to have a permission to cover unreleased material you happen to know about, like the song in question. So if there is an album with covers in memory of a person, the one owning the songs (and that might be different persons for different songs on the album, of course), must give his/her/their permission before it's released, and that has nothing to do with the song being released before or not. So if this album is going to happen, every band on the album has to have permission from the owner. I'm not saying that anyone have to like this, but it's how it works according to the law. What you feel is something else, and you're of course free to state your feelings, but it's not illegal in any way to make this album, as long as there are permits for the covers from the present owner.

As for BR's first album, I learned as late as yesterday that they are not very satisfied with it, and that's most probably why they're not promoting it, _not_ because its style. Something to consider here: do you think Mötley Crüe to be turncoats because some of their albums are industrial grunge rather than sleaze? The band that most people think is the ultimate sleaze band... Nobody questions them, but it's easy to question a young band, instead of being happy that they found their way to this good form of music as well. I don't know, but it might well be Dave that inspiered them to change direction, let's ask them and find out! But in the mean time, be happy for every new sleaze soul, that will make both this board and the world brighter :)

(Sorry for all the law-talk, but unfortunately, feelings can differ from person to person, someone think a thing should be kept private, another that it should not, but without a law there would be no way to settle it. And that comes from an old punk rocker like myself, where did the anarchy go :P Well, my personal opinion is that if Dave had thought this song to be too private for his inheritance, he should have left a will, or destroyed it, but he didn't, and thus, the present owner, giving permit for it to be covered is making the right desition, because it's a fine song. But that is very much my personal interpretation of the situation, and as I've said myself, feelings can't be right or wrong, they're just personal. At least for me, this is a discussion about a thing, nothing personal, we're still part of the great world that is sleaze rock and that binds us together in riot and in love! (Wow, that sounded silly if anything, haha, I slept 4 hours last night and am getting over tiered I guess :P but anyway, peace and respect!)

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #129081 by fizzy
I havent said that it is illegal to record it. And its good that you gave background of the laws in Sweden, which I obviously can't know.

Okay lets sum it up BlackRain will have the approvel from whoever responsible but I think its still a shame to record it in the first place, whoever the idea had.

About BlackRain I just can tell you that I chatted alot with Heinrich 2 years back before they released "license to thrill". And I have my opinion about him/them. They are not satisfied with their first record because it doesnt fit into their image anymore. They are as much sleaze as Tokio Hotel were in their prime lol. Heinrich told me that they always wanted to do sleaze rock but at the time they didnt knew how!!! I mean what is going on? There is no "know how" you just make it right, simple as that. When I want to write a glam rock song, I write it, its not hard at all. The first record actually flopped no one cared, but that was around the time when Sleaze Rock was getting more popular (2007/2008) with hundreds of new bands especially in Sweden. And I truly believe that they saw that and tried to get on the train.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #129084 by Anna Gable

P. fizzy Suxx wrote: I havent said that it is illegal to record it. And its good that you gave background of the laws in Sweden, which I obviously can't know.

That's the kind of statement that doesn't gain anything. Sincy you wrote as if you thought there was a void for songs, as if this particular song still belonged to Dave, I thought I had to say something. I took law at the university, not to work with it, but to understand about rights to music, lyrics and other artistic works, and to understand what's said by the musician's society ("Musikerförbundet"), and not get fooled.

P. fizzy Suxx wrote: Okay lets sum it up BlackRain will have the approvel from whoever responsible but I think its still a shame to record it in the first place, whoever the idea had.

You're of course free to have you personal oppinion here. We all are, and this far it's ok with me.

P. fizzy Suxx wrote: About BlackRain I just can tell you that I chatted alot with Heinrich 2 years back before they released "license to thrill". And I have my opinion about him/them. They are not satisfied with their first record because it doesnt fit into their image anymore. They are as much sleaze as Tokio Hotel were in their prime lol. Heinrich told me that they always wanted to do sleaze rock but at the time they didnt knew how!!! I mean what is going on? There is no "know how" you just make it right, simple as that. When I want to write a glam rock song, I write it, its not hard at all. The first record actually flopped no one cared, but that was around the time when Sleaze Rock was getting more popular (2007/2008) with hundreds of new bands especially in Sweden. And I truly believe that they saw that and tried to get on the train.

Yeah, sleaze started to get popular in Sweden again about 6 years ago. Rest in Sleaze came out in 2005, and when it did BlackRain were probably already writing and recording their first album (released 2006). If they had not been to Sweden before RiS, at the right gigs, they probably had not even heard what the new wave sounded like at all. So they made a try, their own way. Ok, BlackRain's first album was not a success, and today they don't feel all happy about it, but they did not give up, they learned more, tried again, and it takes a lot of spirit to do that, it should be honoured. Since then they've made two great albums which probably have all the three ingredients, right thing, right time and right place, which mean they're getting bigger now. And we should be happy that they did, not whine about their past. Success lies in looking forward.

If it's so easy to write the right song at the right time in the right place as you say, everyobody would be rock stars don't you think? When people say it's so easy I always want to see their platinum albums, or I don't believe them. Really. I've been in this buisness myself, and I it's not easy. Maybe that's why I admire all who're even near to make it (and I've toured as far as Japan with success, but it was still hard). I don't get this backtalking thingy about the one's who are willing to try, especially if it's based on what someone wrote in a chat two years ago. It's extremely easy to misinterpret written conversations, since one doesn't hear the nuances in the voice. Boards or pm:s are hard, mail is harder, and chat is the hardest (there is scientific works done about that in language antropology, so it's not something I'm just saying). What I mean is that it's fine to say "I don't like that they're making a cover of this song, that's my personal feeling and I'm not going to listen to it" but it's not ok to go on with "...So everything the band making the cover does must be bad". To make up an oppinion about someone, or that person's band, from a two year old chat feels really weired. It feels as if you got a bad impression, and decided to not like them forever based on that. Why not give them a second chance, why not think you _might_ have misinterpreted something? Keep your personal feelings about a thing, that's fine, but keep the integrity about the personal bit.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #129099 by mrs v. viper
mrs v. viper replied the topic: "Reborn In Sleaze: A Tribute To Dave Lepard"
Ever since I became a crashdiet fan I witness this discussions about lepards legacy. be it a logo, a bandname, a demo song or whatever. I'm of course aware that people just say
personal opinions and of course thats everybodys right, but frankly I wonder where all those opinions come from.
it makes me wonder if any of all those people discussiong this have any clue what it's like to agree about a legacy of one person.
I do. My father has 4 children of 2 different mums, and while we all get along very well, we still fight about what he would have wanted and what not.
and he did leave a will. and we knew him very very well you know. we were his CHILDREN damnit. Still, there are different opinions about what he would have wanted and I can also tell you that everyone of those fights, even if it's just a small detail, it hurts more than anything you can imagine.
Not that it'sinteresting for this thread, but what I try to point out with this is, it's impossible to know. even for the ones REALLY close to the dead person.

Also, I'm only 21, but I have lost more people forever than anyone else my age I ever spoke too and more than most people 20 years older than me. and not just people I know,
but people I was as close to as you can get.
and i know I delt with the pain very very different every time and I wonder: if just one person deals with losing people in so different ways, how different must it be between two different persons?

my point is: isn't it impossible to be "right" or "wrong" about this?

I see that it's necesary for freinds and family to have a opinion sometimes, and while my personal point of view is that it's best to just let the person go and move on is the best way to have a positive feeling while thinking about the lost person, I stated above that i Think people deal with this sort of pain very different.
And here comes my own humble opinion: the only thing respectles that happens is any random someone can do is develop a opinion about all this. Simply because it's something so sacred and sensitive. I think you can have a opinion about if a cover is good, or if it's bad, but if it's wright or wrong to cover that song- what does it matter to you?
I don't know How you guys feel about it, but everytime I think about Dave Lepard there is also a bitter taste to it because of all this fighting about what he left. And I wonder if this does him right. Or any other person who leaves forever.

Seriously can you answer me that? Why are you all so wound up about all this? why do you even discuss this? WHAT IS THE POINT?!! I don't get it, from what I've seen it just causes grief for everyone involved.

sorry rant. just had to say this for once, it seems to be on the tip of my tongue for ages.

EDIT:: this sounds now as if I would criticise Black rAin, because obvioulsy they had an opinion aswell.So it might sound contradictive.But I just wanted to point out that they seem to deal with this thing different than others would. things get done or not, people will feel different about things, and i don't see why they can't accept hat abouit each other but have to discuss that.

EDIT2: i have a hard time to express mysel here. I don't wnat to criticise having an opinion either, it's just what I think is wrong about this. people might feel different about this aswell. I'm just trying to understand how it comes that everyone is so ... wrapped up in it.

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #129100 by Anna Gable
Really well spoken Viper. I think we're saying the same thing, just in different words. It's ok to feel, and to have a personal oppinion, but there is no way to know, and because of that, we shold not let go of the integrity around Dave. He was a person, and as all such he did good things, and probably also things not so good, he was no god, but a person (which people sometimes forget, especially when it comes to celebrities that have passed). Since nobody could stop the tragedy that happened, obviously he kept a lot to himself too. Exactly as you say, there is no way of knowing, but we all, his family, friends, fans etc all pay best respect if we love his work, take inspiration from the good parts and bring that with us as we move on.

I've lost a lot of dear ones too. I've lost a BF in an accident that even was on the news, I've lost my mother, I've lost well known musicians that were friends of mine, dealing with the problems Dave had too... Time doesn't heal, there is still a loss, but time change the way one look at things. Every morning I think about having a choice, to look forward and try to see the good in things, to be happy for others when they succeed and to cheer them on, or to look back, look for faults and be sad and whine. I always try to look forward, and the more I try, the better I succeed.

All we can to to honour Dave is to look at what kind of person he was in general, since we can never know his thoughts about every detail, as Viper says too. I think we can agree that Dave was the kind that wanted to be seen, he lived the rock star image 24/7 and the best way to honour him, in my opinion, is to let the world hear what he created, and to be happy because so many have found inspiration in his work. And, if there should be some misinterpretation of a thing, like what he wanted for a certain song, I think that in general, he would sure prefere a might be mistake to being silenced and forgotten.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #129115 by fizzy
Why did he kill himself then, if he wanted to live the rockstar thing, and his dream was about to come true?

About Lepard. For me it seems false everything with Crashdiet. That they kept the name, the logo change, covering an unreleased demo etc...
You might ask why am I still in this forum then, if I think Crashdiet should be no longer? Well I just can say that Martin, Peter, Eric and Simon really showed that they are great musicians and that they all have loads of talent, and that I really like the Generation Wild record. Therefore I am still a "Fan" of their music if you want so. But I feel things should be handled different sometimes, and for me it just feels wrong to agree to certain things. Of course I have no background to Dave Lepard, but over the years Ive heard alot from both sides and I have made up my own opinion, without everyone telling me what to think.

About BlackRain, I gave them a second chance and I didnt liked it. They are way too arrogant, and with this behaviour they've lost me as a fan. And I just cant connect with them anymore.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #129119 by GunsNCrüeSWE
GunsNCrüeSWE replied the topic: "Reborn In Sleaze: A Tribute To Dave Lepard"

P. fizzy Suxx wrote: Why did he kill himself then, if he wanted to live the rockstar thing, and his dream was about to come true?

About Lepard. For me it seems false everything with Crashdiet. That they kept the name, the logo change, covering an unreleased demo etc...
You might ask why am I still in this forum then, if I think Crashdiet should be no longer? Well I just can say that Martin, Peter, Eric and Simon really showed that they are great musicians and that they all have loads of talent, and that I really like the Generation Wild record. Therefore I am still a "Fan" of their music if you want so. But I feel things should be handled different sometimes, and for me it just feels wrong to agree to certain things. Of course I have no background to Dave Lepard, but over the years Ive heard alot from both sides and I have made up my own opinion, without everyone telling me what to think.

About BlackRain, I gave them a second chance and I didnt liked it. They are way too arrogant, and with this behaviour they've lost me as a fan. And I just cant connect with them anymore.

I Agree 100% !

And all that is holy, holy shall be...
Let the light bless and
let these words proclaim the blessing.
Let the seal be broken and let the light prevail

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #129123 by mrs v. viper
mrs v. viper replied the topic: "Reborn In Sleaze: A Tribute To Dave Lepard"

Anna Gable wrote: . I think we can agree that Dave was the kind that wanted to be seen, he lived the rock star image 24/7 and the best way to honour him, in my opinion,.

Sorry Anna but exactly those kinds of opinions I meant aswell. thanks for agreeing with me otherwise tho. :)

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds