Crashdiet

Savage Playground.... About the production

More
5 years 8 months ago #152530 by Sheila
Sheila replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production
I dont really have any strong opinions about it. I think it sounds great the way it does, but I can see what you mean about the "bad sound". The drums sounds like they are in a closet some times. But I'm not so picky about it, as long as the music is good. And I dont really know much about the whole production thing, so I guess I'm kinda "untrained" in hearing that kind of stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #152536 by GunsNCrüeSWE
GunsNCrüeSWE replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production
Sounds as raw as Lady Gagas latest album.

And all that is holy, holy shall be...
Let the light bless and
let these words proclaim the blessing.
Let the seal be broken and let the light prevail
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by GunsNCrüeSWE.

More
5 years 8 months ago #152575 by glam_junkie
glam_junkie replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production
now that i am reading reviews and other people opinions about the cd it seems that there are a lot of people worried about the production of the cd....
(as mentioned i wasn't reading any reviews and stuff from before i got the cd so i've only managed to see this since)

From facebook (on crashdiets page)
Pedro Pablo Mendoza
I received this by mail. My name is even on the back cover since I was an early contributor. I have every CD you guys have released, and I was hoping for a production similar to "Generation Wild". Boy, was I wrong... The music is awesome, don't get me wrong. Simon even sounds like Dave at times. But the production sucks big time. It is all muddy, and it seems a kid was behind the board instead of an experienced producer. A shame. The whole production ruined an otherwise great CD. Whatever happened?

From Heavy Harmonies
Everything about this disc stinks. The drums sounds terrible. There is no bite in the guitars. The backing vocals are awful. The lead vocals aren't much better. Whoever produced this needs to be kicked in the balls.

Also from Heavy Harmonies
The production really caught me off guard. It is by no means "bad" at all, but I find it really quite muddy, and you notice it heavily when you put it on after any well produced, crisp sounding CD. Guitars and vocals need to be higher in the mix and although the rhythm section sounds good, it just needs a bigger (for lack of a better word) presence. That said, once it's playing a few songs in, it sounds good.

Now don't kick me for posting negative reviews, but it looks like the production is a bit of an issue to the listening public out there.

More
5 years 8 months ago #152597 by Rebel_Ray
Rebel_Ray replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production
To me It sounds old in a new way if that makes any sence xD I think it sounds more like a band playing the songs and more live and real and that suits the material. Yeah I find mixing strange at times but the feel and rawnes they bring through I think would not come out as clear on a glossy production :lol: Don't get me wrong I love a good H.e.a.t production also but I don't think that would have suited this album :lol:

pina colada BANG!!!!!!!!!

More
5 years 8 months ago #153002 by GunsNCrüeSWE
GunsNCrüeSWE replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production
No. it sounds more cut togheter than ever before. The live feeling is Gone.

And all that is holy, holy shall be...
Let the light bless and
let these words proclaim the blessing.
Let the seal be broken and let the light prevail

More
5 years 8 months ago #153016 by Kraljosovina
Kraljosovina replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production
Do you seriously think this sounds more polished and "cut together" then Generation Wild?
You and I must have very different ears.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

More
5 years 8 months ago #153017 by glam_junkie

GunsNCrüeSWE wrote: No. it sounds more cut togheter than ever before. The live feeling is Gone.

wow... the band seem to think the exact opposite. In this interview with Sweet he says they were going for a live feeling and a rougher sound.

I think this interview gives us trhe best insight so far as to why the album sounds like it does:

this from a blabbermouth interview ...

"The Savage Playground", the fourth album from Swedish rockers CRASHDÏET, has entered the official chart in the band's home country at position No. 2. The CD was released on January 25 in Europe (excluding Scandinavia) and January 22 in North America via Frontiers Records.

With "The Savage Playground" recorded during summer/autumn 2012 at Kingside Studios outside Stockholm with producer Otto Wellton, the band has their minds set to break through on a worldwide basis with a tour that will see the band going back to the U.S. as well as going to Japan for the first time.

The new album sees CRASHDÏET going in a heavier and direction. "'The Savage Playground' is our playground, it's the beginning and the end, it's the place where we eat and breed," says guitarist Martin Sweet. "We thought the time was right for us to do a edgier and not-so-polished-sounding album, kinda like what we sound like live. It's more organic and rough-sounding. And, of course, we're always evolving as musicians and like to try new ways of expressing ourselves, and that can most definitely be heard this album."

More
5 years 8 months ago #153027 by riKki reKkless
riKki reKkless replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production
Actually yes, it sounds very similar to their live sound, but I wouldn´t say that it´s rougher (harder) than Generation Wild. I would say they are still doing the same rough sound (from the composition point of view) The production is actually rougher (my example is probably the production of Chemical… it sounds pretty different (and better?!) when they play it live, than on record)… As said before, firstly I checked every cable on my stereo, but after the second run, I totally fell into it and I was able to ignore that sound… respectively didn´t even attract attention to it… Is it just my point of view or are you with me?

More
5 years 8 months ago #153029 by glam_junkie

riKki reKkless wrote: it´s rougher (harder)

when they say "rougher" i don't think they mean rougher as in terms of being "harder", but more likely "less polished".

for example, listen to something like HEAT or Dynazty from 2012 and their production is very "pure", very "crisp", very "clean", whereas i think what Sweet means by "rough" production is not harder, but just less polished, less over produced and less pure.... but more organic. .. as you would get if the band played it live in the studio (not on stage) without passing it through computers and filters and layering samples etc.

More
5 years 8 months ago #153031 by riKki reKkless
riKki reKkless replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production
I totally know what you mean, but I just wanted to point it out, even if it´s not exactly the topic, we're discusing right now. Actually, we´re the same opinion. I hope you didn´t just pick that one line out, 'cause the other thinkings I´ve wrote down are exactly in the same meaning as yours.

More
5 years 8 months ago #153036 by mrs v. viper
mrs v. viper replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production

Kraljosovina wrote: Do you seriously think this sounds more polished and "cut together" then Generation Wild?

he didn't say it sounds more polished, only cut together and not live.
hmm. there is alot of sampleing going on tho. like the intro, talking in between.. GenWild had that too, but I guess there it was more in the scheme of things in a whole. hence the cut together feelimg.
the orchestra, etc. it doesnt sound live.. on stage.

to me it sounds like.. I dunno. I can picture them being in a studio, being like "oh lets throw that instrument in there, lets see how it sounds. Oh, not bad, let's keep it."
you know.. as they said. trying things out. Ofc, thats not live, but it has that spontaneous edge to it.
And I don't know what happened next but I guess they did all these things to the tracks you do nowadays in the final mix, hence the compressed sound and what people feel is "polished".
I don't know much about recordings and sound and all that but from what I know thats what I get.

which also explains why people experience it so differnetly, because everyone I guess feels different about what is typical "live" or "modern" or "rough".
for some rough means "loosely recorded", for some it means an untweaked guitar sound, for some modern is a lot of sampeling and planned cut together, for some it's just that.. thick sound. dunno how else to call it, but in old records its easier to tell the instruments apart, and nowadays the compress everything so it gets this tapestry feel. and for some live is the sound and playing from start to finish, and for some it's the sponaneous edge..

no idea if this makes any sense haha

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

More
5 years 8 months ago #153045 by Kraljosovina
Kraljosovina replied the topic: Savage Playground.... About the production

mrs v. viper wrote:

Kraljosovina wrote: Do you seriously think this sounds more polished and "cut together" then Generation Wild?

he didn't say it sounds more polished, only cut together and not live.

Yes, that's why I only put quotations marks on "cut together". The "polished" was more of a question because I think it sounds like that's what he means when he says that it "Sounds as raw as Lady Gagas latest album." and that it "sounds more cut togheter than ever before. The live feeling is Gone".
I would like to know :)

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds