Crashdiet

10-Year Anniversary Albums

More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #162972 by XiLaii
XiLaii created the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums
So, you would have to be living in a cave if you had made it as far as this forum this week without realizing that Rest in Sleaze is being re-issued on vinyl to celebrate it's 10 Year Anniversary (Original Release Date was May 2005).

It's obvious to anyone who browses the years upon years of posts still archived here that this band and album have had a huge impact on a lot of people across the globe, but I imagine it's not the only one.

So, my questions are; What other albums that you love have recently celebrated a decade of influence?
What is it about them that makes them stick out in your mind so much?
Why do we feel so personally attached to certain records?
Which albums do you feel should have made more of an impact in their ten years of life?

And, a bit of a curveball: Which albums of 2015 do you think you'll still be most in love with in 2025?

(I imagine that some form of this forum will still exist then, so we can probably check your predictions haha!)

And, most importantly - How the hell did I get old enough that I can remember the release of albums that are ten years old?!

Well you know how the story goes, if it's too loud then you're too old.
Photo Blog // Flickr
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by XiLaii.
The following user(s) gave Kudos to this post: peterlondon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 4 months ago #162977 by friedoctopus
friedoctopus replied the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums
This has made me realize that surprisingly few of my favorite albums came out in 2005. :P But here are a handful of favorites which are a little older than 10 years...
Watain: Rabid Death's Curse (15) and Casus Lucifieri (12)
Rotting Christ: Khronos (15)
Agalloch: The Mantle (13)
Septicflesh: Sumerian Daemons (12)
Behemoth: Demigod (11)

I was not aware of any of these immediately when they came out; at that time I was still in grade school and listening to the classics--Rolling Stones, Guns N Roses, Motley Crue, and also a lot of Weird Al Yankovic. But every one has been in my regular rotation for years and I can't imagine them ever getting old!

As for 2015 releases that will be most significant in another ten years...there are several which I'm sure I'll still be listening to, but if I had to pick one that I think will stick with me the most I'd say Tribulation's The Children of the Night. I can not get enough of it. It has latched onto something within me and won't let go.

"Though strange lay the waters from which they emerged, they glanced upon the world as their own; yet deep in their hearts they knew all the time that this was not really their home." -Watain, 'They Rode On,' 2013

More
2 years 4 months ago #162980 by mrs v. viper
mrs v. viper replied the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums
Wow tough one. i teally had to think about that. And there isnt really any i can think of. The albums that left the biggest influence on me are either younger or twice as old. There should be 2 or 3 hitting the 20 years mark around now. there are a couple of favourites but none that left that huge impact.

i can only think of these:
HIM - Love Metal (2003)
HIM - Venus Doom (2007)
Gogol Bordello - Super Taranta (2007)

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

More
2 years 4 months ago #162989 by Sheila
Sheila replied the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums
Hard question. I guess I have a really high treshold (does that work in english??) to say that an album has left a big influence on me. I feel like to say that, it must REALLY have meant something, like lifechanging. And no album has really been lifechanging for me. But there is a lot of albums that I have good memories around and stuff like that, so I guess that kinda means they have left an influence? When looking at my digital music library from 2005, the albums I find most "important" is Hardcore Superstars selftitled, Returns selftitled (I think selftitled albums was a thing that year), and Wig Wams 667 The neighbourhood of the beast.

Which albums of 2015 that will matter the most in 2025? Hm. My first though is a live-dvd actually. Return just released their anniversery concert filmed in August, which I was at. I havent seen the dvd yet, but I know that it was a really great and special night.

More
2 years 4 months ago #162991 by XiLaii
XiLaii replied the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums
Wow, I'm glad that people have thought enough about this to find it difficult to answer.

Sheila wrote: Hard question. I guess I have a really high treshold (does that work in english??) to say that an album has left a big influence on me.

Yeah, that definitely works. I'm kind of the same but a little bit different. I'm really quick to say that I love things, and I get super hyped about things when I'm having a binge, but it really takes a lot for me to say that something has seriously influenced or impacted me.

Although, perhaps my favourite album ever will be turning 10 next year (Placebo - Meds, Released March 2006). This is a weird one for me though, because I didn't like it when I first heard it, so it doesn't feel like it's been around for a decade because I ignored it for the first few years and played only two songs haha.

I am perhaps revealing far too much about by uncool music tastes, but I think the big one for me in terms of its anniversary is Jack's Mannequin - Everything in Transit. I was introduced to this album by someone who I don't even speak to any more, and it's kind of been playing in the background at all of the times I really felt like I was "growing up". It's kind of sad too, since the band is re-forming to play it in full for the anniversary, but it's only in the USA... :'(

friedoctopus wrote: As for 2015 releases that will be most significant in another ten years...there are several which I'm sure I'll still be listening to, but if I had to pick one that I think will stick with me the most I'd say Tribulation's The Children of the Night. I can not get enough of it. It has latched onto something within me and won't let go.

I can't say that I've heard anything by them, but I might have to take some time to check it out on the back of this.

Thanks for the interesting answers though guys, keep them coming!

Photo Blog // Flickr

More
2 years 4 months ago #162996 by mrs v. viper
mrs v. viper replied the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums
i literally cant think of anything released recently that I think I'll still listen to in a decade. quite sad :( is this just me or is anyone else in a music rut...

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

More
2 years 4 months ago #163015 by XiLaii
XiLaii replied the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums

mrs v. viper wrote: i literally cant think of anything released recently that I think I'll still listen to in a decade. quite sad :( is this just me or is anyone else in a music rut...

It's not just you. I've been really out of touch and can't think of album from the last year that really feels like a "keeper" for me. :(

Photo Blog // Flickr

More
2 years 4 months ago #163021 by PrimalScream91
PrimalScream91 replied the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums
What other albums that you love have recently celebrated a decade of influence?

In no particular order...
Mafia by Black Label Society
New Found Power by Damageplan (RIP Dimebag)
Hardcore Superstar by Hardcore Superstar
Lit Up, Let Down by Vains of Jenna (Celebrated a decade next year)

What is it about them that makes them stick out in your mind so much?

Mafia: This was one of the albums that I overplayed back in the day, I'd been playing guitar for a couple of years by that point and was really getting into guitar-heavy music. Zakk Wylde was obviously a go-to.
New Found Power: Dimebag Darrell, I needn't say more.
Hardcore Superstar/ Lit Up, Let Down: Both of these albums were ones I gravitated to when I began to fully immerse myself in this great genre we call sleaze, so along with RIS (which essentially hooked me on Sleaze) they were very important to my musical evolution.

Why do we feel so personally attached to certain records?

This is a great question, the answer: memories. For example, in high school I listened to Dr. Feelgood like it was going out of style. Now when I listen to it, it not only reminds me of spending time with my best friends and doing random things, but it also elicits the same feelings of being free, the world ahead of me, and an open road.

Another example would be Hinder's Extreme Behavior record (which actually celebrated a decade recently.) I'm not so much of a Hinder fan anymore, but when that record came out I loved it. Every now and then I'll put "Homecoming Queen" on and feel all nostalgic and shit. So, even though I think the band has went to shit, I still feel a bit of an attachment for that record.

Which albums do you feel should have made more of an impact in their ten years of life?

Rest in Sleaze obviously. In all actuality it might have if things would have happened differently, but I'm not going down that road.
Mötley Crüe: For those that don't know, it was a self-titled record released in 1994 without Vince Neil. Criminally underrated simply because it wasn't the original 4 guys, but it contains some of their strongest musical moments.
Pride by White Lion: The band had moderate success back in the day, but for some reason was never really able to "take off."
Leatherwolf by Leatherwolf: Another phenomenal album, Leatherwolf is probably best known for their song "The Calling," but the whole album is really amazing.

Which albums of 2015 do you think you'll still be most in love with in 2025?

Hard to say because there is not a whole lot of albums that came out this year that I'm really loving with the exception of Halestorm's Into the Wild Life. So that'll probably be one of them.

Light come
We’re back against the wall
Time won
We’re held in chainz at dawn

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #163184 by nopeimnotalice
nopeimnotalice replied the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums
One of my favourite albums was released in -86. It is a Swedish one called Synd. Imperiet was the name of the band. They made an impact to me when I found them as a teenager. And still all this years later, they mean something.
And where the years went since then, is a really good question.
Rest in Sleaze, is a darned good album as well, and that one and Savage Playground honestly pulled me up from a black hole I happened to fall into like 4 years ago.
Music heals!!
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by nopeimnotalice.
The following user(s) gave Kudos to this post: peterlondon

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #163211 by peterlondon
peterlondon replied the topic: 10-Year Anniversary Albums

nopeimnotalice wrote: One of my favourite albums was released in -86. It is a Swedish one called Synd. Imperiet was the name of the band. They made an impact to me when I found them as a teenager. And still all this years later, they mean something.

Imperiet are amazing! I love them.

nopeimnotalice wrote: Rest in Sleaze, is a darned good album as well, and that one and Savage Playground honestly pulled me up from a black hole I happened to fall into like 4 years ago.
Music heals!!

I agree that music heals, really, that's been the case for me in a countless amount of situations... Glad we could help you out :).

//LONDON

“Well," said Pooh, "what I like best," and then he had to stop and think.
Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there
was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than
when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh...
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by peterlondon.
The following user(s) gave Kudos to this post: nopeimnotalice

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds