Crashdiet

Website issue???

More
2 years 1 month ago #163626 by Eadu
Eadu created the topic: Website issue???
There's stuff I want to buy that is only available on your website. But according to Google this website is hacked??? I've never seen it before, some of you guys can maybe check me on this, but if you google Crashdiet, the first hit is this website, with a warning saying 'this website has been hacked.' Anyone know what's going on? Maybe it's nothing?

Waking up with mystery glitter. Win.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #163627 by friedoctopus
friedoctopus replied the topic: Website issue???
I just verified that I see the warning message as well. From the Google support page :
You'll see the message "This site may be hacked" when we believe a hacker might have changed some of the existing pages on the site or added new spam pages. If you visit the site, you could be redirected to spam or malware.

My best guess would be that Google has picked up on the fact that sometimes fake users get registered for the forum and post long and nonsensical spam messages containing links to who knows what. These are very easy to identify and avoid as a user, and usually get cleaned up by site administration pretty quickly. I don't know for certain that this is what the warning is referring to, but it's the only spammy content I have ever seen anywhere on this site.

In general, as long as you make yourself aware of the URL you're at before you submit any financial information, or the target URL before you download anything, you can remain pretty safe from internet troublemakers. :)

Also for what it's worth, if you google "Crashdiet shop" the first result is the official Crashdiet web shop and has no such warning. Shop away; it's safe!

"Though strange lay the waters from which they emerged, they glanced upon the world as their own; yet deep in their hearts they knew all the time that this was not really their home." -Watain, 'They Rode On,' 2013
The following user(s) gave Kudos to this post: Eadu

More
2 years 1 month ago #163628 by Eadu
Eadu replied the topic: Website issue???
Thank you! I figured it was probably nothing, but I feel better when reassured by a real person, ha ha. Well, I placed a test order, that was an interesting experience! First of all - PAL? NTSC? Like an idiot, I'm yelling at my computer, 'What the heck is that? Where are the DVDs?' Thankfully there was a detailed explanation in the product description, so I learned something new today. Apparently American = NTSC. So I go to pay, get out my Amex with a big old smile, couldn't find the American Express option. Quickly discovered there wasn't one. Spent ten minutes hunting around the house for a credit card, found a Visa. It had been so long since I used a credit card, I had to read the instructions and do it really slowly. I felt like a 14 year old girl learning to drive a car, lol. (I hope I did it correctly!) Finally, done! Happy me! Until I got to the last page, and it said 'Cost $172 SEK.' I'm sure you can guess what I said next - 'What the hell is an SEK?' Thank you Google, it's a 'krona.' All together now, you can join in for my next idiotic question - 'What the hell is a krona?' Thanks again, Google. Well, now I feel like a complete idiot. I'm consoling myself with a stiff drink and the happiness that something awesome is on its way to me in the mail. But no lie - being American isn't all it's cracked up to be. And it's getting harder every year. It's like the rest of the world is jumping into the car, and Americans are hunting around for our cigarettes, hopping on one foot while we try to put on our shoes, yelling, 'Wait a minute, god damn it!'

More
2 years 1 month ago #163630 by friedoctopus
friedoctopus replied the topic: Website issue???
Was the total you described seeing in SEK only displayed after you chose to pay with your credit card? That is, when you were looking at the items and confirming your order in the shop itself, did you see prices in SEK or US dollars?

I ask because some work has been done to make sure prices in the shop are shown in local currency based on the user's location. That appears to still be working fine for me, but if you and possibly others are seeing something different, that's something that can be looked at. Administration here does its very best to make things easy for us all!

On the other hand, if you're referring to just the price given on the pay-with-your-credit-card page, that's out of the control of this site. Payments have to be taken by a secure third-party site, for which the price is given in the local currency of the recipient and cannot be easily changed to match what you see within the page owned by Crashdiet. I can see how that could be confusing. Either way, at least now you know what to expect for future purchases.

"Though strange lay the waters from which they emerged, they glanced upon the world as their own; yet deep in their hearts they knew all the time that this was not really their home." -Watain, 'They Rode On,' 2013
The following user(s) gave Kudos to this post: Eadu

More
2 years 1 month ago #163631 by Eadu
Eadu replied the topic: Website issue???
Yes - it was only on that final page. When I was on my initial order page, it showed the total in dollars. I don't see it as a problem, though. Just think how many non-Europeans like me will learn about the krona that way. It's actually a pretty cool word, too. Maybe if I have another baby, I'll name her Krona. She'd never be able to go to Sweden, though...that would be weird!

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds