Crashdiet

The Book Thread

More
7 years 8 months ago #122329 by mrs v. viper
mrs v. viper replied the topic: The Book Thread

izzie wrote: Any book tips about dystopias? I've read Lord of the Flies...

One of myfavorite books is "The Giver" by Lois Lowry.
"The Giver is a 1993 soft science fiction novel by Lois Lowry. It is set in a future society which is at first presented as a utopian society and gradually appears more and more dystopian. The novel follows a boy named Jonas through the twelfth year of his life. The society has eliminated pain and strife by converting to "Sameness", a plan which has also eradicated emotional depth from their lives. Jonas is selected to inherit the position of "Receiver of Memory," the person who stores all the memories of the time before Sameness, in case they are ever needed to aid in decisions that others lack the experience to make" (wiki)

Otherwise "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margeret Atwood.... and..
Metro 2033 by Dimitry Glukhovsky (I mentioend tht already, it's amazing)

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #122342 by martinkrush
martinkrush replied the topic: The Book Thread
I'm not reading much nowadays (I could say not at all!) but there's a book that made a big impression on me when I read it a while ago: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. It's quite a hard one and difficult to read so you can't really do it in one day because you would go crazy :). And also it's better to read it in moderation 'cause then it's easier to understand it. I'm pretty sure all of you know this title but in case someone doesn't, check here . Recommended stuff!

More
7 years 8 months ago #123103 by Livingdead4life
Livingdead4life replied the topic: The Book Thread
Im done with the ozzy biography now.

its a really good book, and its easy to get hooked in.
I like that its quite alot of humor in it.

and marmetal i can only say: buy it soon!

It´s hard to light a candle, its easy to curse the dark instead!

More
7 years 8 months ago #123127 by XiLaii
XiLaii replied the topic: The Book Thread

Livingdead4life wrote: m done with the ozzy biography now.

its a really good book, and its easy to get hooked in.
I like that its quite alot of humor in it.

I'm glad you liked it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I read it while I was doing my Jury Service and I couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud in the quiet holding area, hehe

Well you know how the story goes, if it's too loud then you're too old.
Photo Blog // Flickr

More
7 years 8 months ago #123134 by Livingdead4life
made me both giggle and laugh out loud.

I mean just the first 5 pages is trouly awesome :lol:

More
7 years 8 months ago #123143 by Jezzi J?mes
Jezzi J?mes replied the topic: The Book Thread

The obvious Nineteen Eighty-four by Orwell is one, also Kallocain by Swedish author Karin Boye. Although I don't like Kallocain, but that might be because I was forced to read it in school.. From what I've heard Brave New World is also supposed to be kinda dystopian(new word? lol). Also as someone mentioned a few posts before me, The Giver and The Handmaid's Tale.

If anyone wants to read some comedy, read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson and The Hichhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. A fair warning though, don't read them in public places, you'll embarass yourself when laughing all the time :)

Every cigarette looks like it was made by God, rolled by Jesus and moistened shut with Claudia Schiffer's pussy.

-William Melvin "Bill" Hicks 1961-1994 R.I.P

More
7 years 8 months ago #123146 by Livingdead4life

Jezzi Jämes wrote:

The obvious Nineteen Eighty-four by Orwell is one, also Kallocain by Swedish author Karin Boye. Although I don't like Kallocain, but that might be because I was forced to read it in school.. From what I've heard Brave New World is also supposed to be kinda dystopian(new word? lol). Also as someone mentioned a few posts before me, The Giver and The Handmaid's Tale.

If anyone wants to read some comedy, read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson and The Hichhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. A fair warning though, don't read them in public places, you'll embarass yourself when laughing all the time :)

Favorit book of all time, i sooo love it. heard it as a voice book or what you call it around 30 times. and im not kidding.
I mean how can you stop reading/listening after the beginning :lol: :lol:

More
7 years 8 months ago #123154 by XiLaii
XiLaii replied the topic: The Book Thread

Livingdead4life wrote: made me both giggle and laugh out loud.

I mean just the first 5 pages is trouly awesome

The ending where he's talking to his doctor was the best bit for me x)

Well you know how the story goes, if it's too loud then you're too old.
Photo Blog // Flickr

More
7 years 8 months ago #123163 by Sheila
Sheila replied the topic: The Book Thread

Jezzi Jämes wrote: If anyone wants to read some comedy, read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson and The Hichhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. A fair warning though, don't read them in public places, you'll embarass yourself when laughing all the time :)

I've heard about that Galaxy-thing. I read a bit about it now, it looked pretty funny, maybe I should check it out.

More
7 years 8 months ago #123174 by martinkrush
martinkrush replied the topic: The Book Thread

Livingdead4life wrote: and marmetal i can only say: buy it soon!

If I ever have some money, I'm gonna buy it, thanks for the recommendation bro ;).

More
7 years 8 months ago #123563 by winwin1009
winwin1009 replied the topic: The Book Thread

Livingdead4life wrote: The Hichhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

I absolutely love this book!! It's one of my all-time faves!
I love reading....though I'm a bit partial to fantasy....but I'll read anything with an interesting plot-line.
I haven't had time to read anything new lately, but the last book I (re)read was Tell me your dreams by Sidney Sheldon.

And if you feel that you can't go on. And your will's sinkin' low
Just believe and you can't go wrong.
In the light you will find the road.

More
7 years 6 months ago #126601 by mrs v. viper
mrs v. viper replied the topic: The Book Thread
I need your help.
I need a shorstory for a illustrating project. I wanted to do Poe, but sooo many people do Poe and even with a less kown story of him it's not outstanding enough. then I wanted to do Kafka,... but i don't seem to be able to come up with something for it.
I'm searching for a deep short story. preferably something dark and gloomy, maybe a bit fantasy-ish, or mabey horror stuff, but not too obvious. Or something realistic but with black humor.. like pulp fiction maybe? shouldn't be longer than 20 pages and preferably be set in this time or 100 years in the futute or past to the max. Despite being deep, it should have a storyline that is easy to follow.

Sounds über picky, I know. Any ideas?

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds