Crashdiet

The Book Thread

More
7 years 1 month ago #138151 by mrs v. viper
mrs v. viper replied the topic: The Book Thread
I just read Dan Brown The lost Symbol... Da Vinci code and the one with illuminatis was sensation hungry blown up but at least nice entertainment, but this one... really dude? :S

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #138155 by Psychobunny
Psychobunny replied the topic: The Book Thread
Started reading "Loki" by Mike Vasich today. Good thing I remember lots of that Edda Stuff so I can keep track of all the names and places so far. Looks like a good read if one is interested in stuff like that as I am.

I am what I am - go live with it

More
7 years 1 month ago #138163 by CrashNika
CrashNika replied the topic: The Book Thread

mrs v. viper wrote: I just read Dan Brown The lost Symbol... Da Vinci code and the one with illuminatis was sensation hungry blown up but at least nice entertainment, but this one... really dude? :S

I also read the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons :)
Is that "The lost Symbol" that horrible?

Finished reading everything for school,
now, I'll read some classics for fun... will start with E.Hemingway

Life is not about facing the storm, but dancing in the rain...

More
7 years 1 month ago #138172 by winwin1009
winwin1009 replied the topic: The Book Thread
The last book I read was called 'The Devil's Consort' by Anne O'Brien. It was a factional account of Eleanor of Aquitaine before she became the wife of Henry of Anjou and the queen of England. It wasn't exactly a non-fictional book per se, but more like a fiction mixed with history (especially as the book is in the first person POV of Queen Eleanor herself!) On the whole a very interesting read. Although I did feel that the ending could have been better....as it feels that the author left it hanging in the middle of Eleanor's life....you get to see how she becomes the queen of England but you don't get to read about what happens afterwards....that's my only complain about the book...otherwise it's a lovely way to pass the time... :)

And if you feel that you can't go on. And your will's sinkin' low
Just believe and you can't go wrong.
In the light you will find the road.

More
7 years 1 month ago #138177 by Sheila
Sheila replied the topic: The Book Thread
Right now I'm reading Memnoch the devil, by Anne Rice. We discussed some of her books in another thread here.

And I'm waiting in the mail for some books, from the Thoroughbred-series by Johanna Campbell. Not very interesting for people thats not interested in horses, but I'm kinda collecting those books. Its written around 70 books, and I miss 20 of them or something. Only places to get them now is buying them from someone (which I am doing now) or get them at a flea market.

More
7 years 1 month ago #138186 by mrs v. viper
mrs v. viper replied the topic: The Book Thread

Sheila wrote: And I'm waiting in the mail for some books, from the Thoroughbred-series by Johanna Campbell. Not very interesting for people thats not interested in horses, but I'm kinda collecting those books. Its written around 70 books, and I miss 20 of them or something. Only places to get them now is buying them from someone (which I am doing now) or get them at a flea market.

haha awesome! you won't believe it but I read Glory's Rival yesterday!! out of pure nostalgy haha, we used to trade those back around 2000-2002 xD

☽ O ☾ "Graphic design will save the world right after rock and roll does." - David Carson
In case you need a designer/illustrator:: my Instagram
CRASHDÏET Streetteam germany

More
7 years 1 month ago #138195 by Sheila

mrs v. viper wrote:

Sheila wrote: And I'm waiting in the mail for some books, from the Thoroughbred-series by Johanna Campbell. Not very interesting for people thats not interested in horses, but I'm kinda collecting those books. Its written around 70 books, and I miss 20 of them or something. Only places to get them now is buying them from someone (which I am doing now) or get them at a flea market.

haha awesome! you won't believe it but I read Glory's Rival yesterday!! out of pure nostalgy haha, we used to trade those back around 2000-2002 xD

Haha :lol: I really like those books. I feel kinda childish for it, but still. xD But reading the oldest books is kinda cool, a bit special in a way xD Like, they're classics.

More
6 years 10 months ago #139904 by XiLaii
XiLaii replied the topic: The Book Thread
I'm going to reply here so that the conversation can carry on etc. :3.

mrs v. viper wrote: hmm. In general I just don't like the tendency of those books to be nothing more than "I got famous, then I got drugs, then I hit Rock bottom, then I got my shit together and now I'm a better person and need to write a book".  It's so.. I dunno. like in the Dirt (as the most prominent exemple) the only one who has ntresting things that go beyond that to say is Mick, it just seems so..  I can't really put it in words but it seems very dull and unintersting for me most of the time. just followng the same old timeline, and thats it... I feel like these person probably have learned so much more on their journeys or should have but all they ever talk about is the scandals. if that explains it a little...
I read alot, and I enjoy reading for the pure entertainment it can give you, so its always cool to read about those people, but it seems  so cliche I liked Keith Richards book tho, it was real intersting coming from that person that hrew up in such different times and he seems a a real interesting charactwer.

Thinking about it, you're right. Considering my interest in the topics/music, I've really not read that many, but I can see how you can translate them all to follow that so obvious script. Personally, I think Motley Crue and Nikki Sixx are pretty bad offenders when it comes to that, but I did enjoy the other elements of the book - like the way they left all four different stories together in one book, despite the fact that two chapters right next eachother would totally contradict. I'm also kind of sad in the sense that I enjoy reading about the debauchery and havoc that these rockstars caused behind closed doors, etc.

mrs v. viper wrote: Now that particular book, I read the first pages on amazon with that preview function and it seemed cool and naturally written and also have some more unusual views from that little I could tell. Also, I think it's intresting to read the G'N'R story from a point of view that is less talked about. Now slash and Axl all have their media that takes sides and fans that takes sides, while Duff seems a bit more oustside of the scene so to speak, and I think it might be less one sided. Or at leats I hope so. which makes it intrestimng

It is very cool and naturally written throughout (I'm about half way through now, I doubt it's going to suddenly change on me XD) and I am loving hearing about GnR from someone who isn't Axl or Slash - and I do like Duff a lot. But the trouble with this book is that it seems to just gloss over a lot of stuff. I mean, he's not really said more than paragraph about what his other bandmates were like when he met them, and whole tours are reduced down to a few lines. I'm enjoying it, and I like that it's fast-paced, I guess I just dislike the lack of details and it doesn't feel like there are many stories.

Sheila wrote: Right now I'm reading Memnoch the devil, by Anne Rice. We discussed some of her books in another thread here.

Also I guess this is going back a little, but I don't know many other people who have read that, so I've just got to ask what you think of it? :lol:.

Well you know how the story goes, if it's too loud then you're too old.
Photo Blog // Flickr

More
6 years 10 months ago #139910 by Sheila

XiLaii wrote:

Sheila wrote: Right now I'm reading Memnoch the devil, by Anne Rice. We discussed some of her books in another thread here.

Also I guess this is going back a little, but I don't know many other people who have read that, so I've just got to ask what you think of it? :lol:.

I've been a terrible reader, I havent even finished yet xD I've started and stopped to many times. So I think I'll start on it again. But it havent really grabbed me, maybe because of the language. I always read books in english twice, cause I dont get everything the first time. xD

More
6 years 10 months ago #139951 by GunsNCrüeSWE
GunsNCrüeSWE replied the topic: The Book Thread
Blod Eld Död(Blood Fire Death). Awesome book.

And all that is holy, holy shall be...
Let the light bless and
let these words proclaim the blessing.
Let the seal be broken and let the light prevail

More
6 years 10 months ago #140001 by Lexxi_Crash
Lexxi_Crash replied the topic: The Book Thread
Re-reading Thisis gonna hurt by Nikki Sixx

"Born to die free..." (c)

More
6 years 10 months ago #140004 by Kraljosovina
Kraljosovina replied the topic: The Book Thread
Just finished Duff Mckagans autobiography "It's So Easy (and other lies)" :)

It was really good. But the best part was not at all the stuff with Guns N' Roses, it was his way back from the drugs and alcohol. I think my favourite chapter was 61, Hilarious! :lol:
He's always gonna be an idol to me.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

Moderators: peterlondonmrs v. viper
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds